#1 Ane Singleton

Ane Singleton

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

Can the Sankyo ES 66 XL read most of the newer asa speed Super 8 films?   I have read suggestions that filters might be needed to correct or adjust exposure.  I am still a little confused about it because some of the 70s era cameras have difficulty with this and some do not—I am told.  

And do provide any other positive or negative feedback on this camera, especially its W/T lens. 

I have seen amazing footage shoot by this camera, and I am wondering how much expertise and skill are needed to replicate the same.  

#2 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

That's a great camera:

http://www.super8dat...nkyo_es66xl.htm

Unfortunately it does not read the high speed films such as 250D or 500T. However, it should be fine with 500T indoors in low light.

See my post here:

http://www.cinematog...488#entry392363

Pretty much all the same is true for this camera.

The Sankyo has the great advantage of spilt image focusing and is great for low light with its 220 degree shutter, although this does increase its motion blur a bit.

Shooting 50D outdoors with this camera should be great. The new 200D AGFA reversal should be ok but slightly over exposed. The 200T should be perfect indoors.

#3 Ane Singleton

Ane Singleton

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

Good information David, thank you. 

About the motion blur, shoud I adjust the shutter speed to reduce the blur, or to help reduce motion blur should I be more concerned about panning.  Or is this simply a small set back that I will have to master through sheer trial, error and experience over time, after I actually the results?

50D outdoors and 200T indoors.  I am hoping to do a lot with this camera.

Any adapter recommendations for the lens if the occasion arise, or is the ES 66XL flexible enough for most shooting scenarios for starters.

#4 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

I'm not certain that you can "adjust" the shutter on that camera.  There is a fade-in/fade-out function that probably closes down the shutter.  But, the meter will not compensate for that since it's purposes it to create a fade.  

Theoretically, you could close the shutter down a bit using the fade function and then increase the aperture or light to get correct exposure.  That would decrease panning and general motion blur.  But, again, that would be kludgy and I'm not certain you can lock the "fade" at a certain spot.  It's not a "real" adjustable shutter angle.

Keep the shooting at 24FPS and go easy on the pans and you should be fine.  Experience will help.

I don't have personal experience with this camera or lens.  But, it's always good to have an external 85 filter and a set of NDs so you can shoot the film you have when you need it and adjust the light coming in rather than stopping the lens way down.

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

CineLab