11 replies to this topic

#1 David Nethery

David Nethery
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

Recently acquired a Nikon R8 at an estate sale  ,  seems to be clean and in good shape , but NO BATTERY HOLDER so I can't power it on to see if it works !!!  :o

Does anyone have a spare battery holder for sale ?

This is it:

Nikon_R8_R10_Battery.jpg

I'm thinking I may need to watch eBay for a non-functional Nikon R8 or R10 being sold cheap  -- as-is  "For Parts"  to salvage the battery holder as long as it's clean and not corroded.

Edited by David Nethery, 06 August 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#2 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry. It's just that those go for a serious premium. Your best bet it buying a used dead nikon, but then you face the likely prospect of bad contacts. 

#3 David Nethery

David Nethery
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry. It's just that those go for a serious premium. Your best bet it buying a used dead nikon, but then you face the likely prospect of bad contacts. 

"Serious premium"   =   $ ________  ?        What price are we talking about for the battery holder  ?  $40  ?  $50 ?  

You're probably right that a dead Nikon sold "as-is For Parts"  on eBay is likely going to be my best bet ,  but  if one like that comes up I'll ask the seller for a photo of the battery holder to see if it looks clean .

#4 Joerg Polzfusz

Joerg Polzfusz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:11 AM

Hi,

if you want to test your camera before trying to get a battery holder, then why don't you simply attach an external power source?

BTW: there are tons of different battery-holders as spare parts for R/C cars. DIY electronics, ..., e.g. http://www.conrad.de...product/615587/ ...maybe you should visit one of the stores and ask them whether they've got a matching holder?

I would try http://www.super8film.at/en_index.htm , http://www.kinotechnikrinser.de/ etc. as they've also got spare parts.

Jörg

#5 David Nethery

David Nethery
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Thank you for the helpful suggestions, Jörg .

#6 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

I've been quoted $70 to $100 numerous times. And I never paid. Not gonna happen.

#7 David Nethery

David Nethery
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

I've been quoted $70 to $100 numerous times. And I never paid. Not gonna happen.

That does seem excessively high for a battery holder , but I guess it's about supply (rare)  and demand .     Since I got the camera for a very low price I would have to tell myself that purchasing the battery holder to get the camera up and running means I paid out around  $70 - to -  $100 (or slightly more)   to get a working Nikon R8 , which sounds better than saying  "I paid $70 - $100 for a battery holder" ).

Of course that is ASSUMING it does work .    Cosmetically it looks good , very clean , well cared for , stored in a nice camera case ,   but until I get the batteries in it I don't know if it actually runs.    I could try Jörg's suggestion of attaching an external battery pack to see if it will power up ,  but  I know nothing about electronics or soldering , so I'd be fearful of frying the camera's internal electronics if I messed up ...

#8 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

The R8 takes a button cell for the lightmeter. Check the housing. The battery tester should indicate if it has power.

R8 R10 are notories for stuck EE systems. I.e. the actuator lands in hard grease and cannot untangle itself.

You can hear the thing humming then :(

Connecting an external powersource isn't that easy as plugging a cable.

You need to supply   0, 4.5 and 9 volt to the pads in the grip roof where the clips touches them...

Testing is recommended!

#9 David Nethery

David Nethery
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

Aw nuts  :wacko: !  ...  my eBay saved search email alert  notified me of  "Nikon R10 - Not Working For Parts Only"  , and my heart leapt up , only to be dashed when I see this photo of the battery pack .   Arrghhhh ...

Corroded_Nikon_Battery_Pack.jpg

I don't know if this could be cleaned and restored .  I'm afraid the corrosion has probably eaten through the springs and they'll pop off as soon as I start scrubbing with a toothbrush and baking soda .

What a shame ...

Well , I will keep looking .

#10 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

That's bad. Yikes. Unfortunately, most people stored these with the batteries in place and so most of then R10's in storage, closets, attics, basements, etc. are ruined.

#11 Richard Hadfield

Richard Hadfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

If you live in LA there is a camera repair shop that can make an external power supply for a Nikon R10 or R8 and also repair corroded battery holders.  They were recommended by an employee at Yale Film and Video.  Check it out.

Photo Center, 

7961 Beverly Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90048

Edited by Richard Hadfield, 10 August 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#12 David Nethery

David Nethery
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

If you live in LA there is a camera repair shop that can make an external power supply for a Nikon R10 or R8 and also repair corroded battery holders.  They were recommended by an employee at Yale Film and Video.  Check it out.

Photo Center, 

7961 Beverly Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90048

Richard,

Thanks for the tip.  I'll contact them.

-D

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio