Jen Priester

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hello everyone!

I am a newborn photographer and looking to expand into learning the video on my camera. I shoot in manual and RAW, and have run a professional business for 2 1/2 years now. I'm excited to start reading on here, so much info! Can anyone point me in the right direction on what to read/study so I can learn? I am assuming since I know how to use my DSLRs that I would have some background knowledge. I have a nikon d700 and d800-the 800 has the video on it.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

You could check out this book: http://www.cinematog...showtopic=51226

Also, look at the other books in that section. http://www.cinematog...p?showforum=107 Books on lighting are worthwhile reading in depth..

It's also important to understand the grammar of film and the process of editing, because you're providing the material for the editor to tell whatever story is being told.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Frankly I think a stills photographer is starting off from a better place than someone who's a "film person" and has eyes full of major blockbusters! I always tell beginners to read still photography magazines as the advice is much more relevant - they tend to talk about lighting technique, framing, and composition, as opposed to which camera has the biggest number in some sort of specification. Partly this is because stills cameras have long since reached maturity.

That said, Brian is of course exactly right and there will be a need to understand the process of covering a scene, creating matching shots, and generally producing a suite of material that is actually editable. This is something which doesn't really exist in stills work.

The best advice I ever had, the advice I pass onto kids when I occasionally do workshops, is that you must edit what you shoot. Much of this stuff can be learned from books and of course that's worthwhile, but at some point, learning how to shoot things that don't look odd when cut together (where "odd" is extremely subjective and relative to the variability of fashion and personal preference) is going to require some practical experience. It's terribly easy not to get around to editing things, in which case you can easily find you've created a card full of beautiful bits of photography that don't work as a sequence.

#4 Jen Priester

Jen Priester

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:08 AM

Thank you guys! I will check those out! I am not really looking to do movies. Just want to learn it so I can record my hubby maybe for his music video or something like that at most. Is this just film? I am a digital gal :)

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:20 AM

The grammar of editing applies to TV, movies and other audio visual productions shot on both film and digital formats. Music videos tend to be a bit looser, but it's worth being aware of how they get cut together.

Edited by Brian Drysdale, 16 August 2013 - 01:21 AM.

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets