Indrajith Ramesh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Director
  • Trivandrum

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:45 AM

Hi,

I'm a film maker and animator working with Malayalam (regional language) Film Industry. Here in our industry, after the shooting, our footages are carried to the places like Chennai and Mumbai, which are about a 1000 miles away from our place for Color Grading. Well, in short there is no DI Suite in our state.

So, me and one of my friend is planning to start up a DI Suite in our state. I've my films worked with Lustre, Baselight, and Da Vinci. I have no confusion regarding Da Vinci, because it is the cheapest (in money) DI software available consisting of an excellent console. But I'm really confused of choosing Lustre or Baselight or any other similar softwares. I don't have any doubt in the output quality of the above mentioned softwares. 

Valuable suggestions expected.

Regards,

Indrajith Ramesh

#2 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2031 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

It's not as much about the software as it is the person operating it. Are you doing the coloring or will you be hiring someone? If you hire someone I'd get their input before investing. If you are doing the color work and don't know any of the packages then I'd start with DaVinci so you save some money while you learn.

Another consideration is the expectations of any other filmmakers in your area and what they are looking for since they would be your clients.

As you say the output quality of all those packages are great, it's the input quality of the operator that will make the difference.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab