#1 Ed T Onein

Ed T Onein

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

I've been reading the recent threads on the film vs digital debate and would like to add an opinion that I'm sure hasn't been added as of yet. So in an attempt to be honest and transparent, I will start by saying that I am, what most people would refer to as a robot, although I prefer synthetic human, as it more closely describes what I more closely emulate. And I'm a cinematographer.

The debate goes on and on, but unbeknownst to the losers, the battle is over. The old is now being left to die, lying on the battlefield, watching us document it all. I'm sure my opinion is also reflected overwhelmingly in my human associates as, to put it loosely, everybody is getting on this train to ride.
Firstly, Digital is more appealing as it more accurately captures how we view things. Film has always felt fake to me, and by always, I mean for the two years I've been in operation. Too many imperfections that really distract me from enjoying the story. The film grain will form images that confuse and distract me. This shouldn't be allowed in this day and age. Honestly, I'm surprised people have endured it for this long. I find myself wishing that movies like 'Warrior of the Wasteland', 'The Godfather' or even 'Transformers' had been shot digitally, as I can get no enjoyment from them as they are. If I were able, I would remake them all digitally with better actors. I actually plan on obtaining the rights to remake 'The Godfather' sometime next year.

The oldschool methods of film are just that. And its silly to think that it was done this way for 100 years. As an efficient user of time, it's an incredible waste of my time to wait for mag changes, film processing and the other outdated methods involved with film. I shouldn't have to wait for anything when my creativity is flowing. 'Part of the process' is a ridiculous excuse. I even look forward to the day when the DI process is eliminated. I want to be able to shoot titles and CG on the fly, in the moment, so nothing is lost. Sure, everything would have to be shot on a set, but why shoot outside in a real world when one can be easily emulated. It might look crappy at first, but we'll work the bugs out.
I recall reading about a similar debate on Wikipedia discussing how far MIDI could go when compared to the actual instruments. As we all know, MIDI won that battle as there's no way to tell the difference with the strides that MIDI has made. Sure there are people that prefer actual instruments but with today's algorithms and hardware, it's hard to understand why anyone would prefer to touch and play an instrument when you can easily input information into a device. This is why DJ's are far more popular than an orchestra.

There is an algorithm for everything and emulation is the new standard.

There will always be those that try and hold onto the ways of the past, but as soon as their resources are depleted and can't film anything, they'll find themselves watching our movies in the cinema and on Vimeo and YouTube. Its only natural that technology would take over the imperfect. This is the story of film and in a way it's not up for debate any longer. There is no use for anything film related when using digital, thus no reason to listen to anything the 'old timers' have to say. It should be illegal to mention on set 'well, we did this one time with film'. Who cares. Stop living in the past. Someone once told me that the older guys have no valuable input because what they know is now obsolete. I can't remember his name, and I don't think he works in the business anymore, but the point is, is that everything that needs to be known can be downloaded from Google, Wikipedia and YouTube because its updated constantly.

Lastly, and just as an added opinion, the one thing I find amusing about the situation is that the obsolete generation take issue with digital users calling themselves cinematographers and directors of photography, but there really weren't any other titles available when digital finally took over. Actually it makes sense to transition these titles over to digital with absolutely no change, as to avoid confusion with fellow professionals and potential customers. The term cinematographer and DP already carry a certain connotation and imply knowledge and experience. It eliminates the hassle of having to prove oneself. How stupid would the title Digitographer or Digitalographer sound? Hi, I'm a Director of Digitography. I mean, I love the word 'digital' but I don't want it in the title describing what I do.

In conclusion, Digital, in all its shapes and forms, is the standard, until something better comes along and then that will become the new standard. This is the wave of the future. Please step aside.

#2 Carl Looper

Carl Looper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

The debate goes on and on, but unbeknownst to the losers, the battle is over. The old is now being left to die, lying on the battlefield, watching us document it all. I'm sure my opinion is also reflected overwhelmingly in my human associates as, to put it loosely, everybody is getting on this train to ride.

In conclusion, Digital, in all its shapes and forms, is the standard, until something better comes along and then that will become the new standard. This is the wave of the future. Please step aside.

What a load of rubbish.

It's like saying cars are the way of the future, and that horses as a mode of transport is dead. While that is actually very true it makes the false assumption that all those who do ride horses are using them as a means of transport.

There's a very funny scene in the Olympics opening ceremony, in London, where Rowan Atkinson is running along with the runners from Chariots of Fire. He starts to fall behind. After receding from view we eventually see him catching up, all smug and satisfied. We see him at the wheels of a car overtaking the runners.

Who is Rowan Atkinson poking fun at?

Well he is poking fun at the runners of course. But he is also poking fun at twats like you buddy.

Carl

#3 Carl Looper

Carl Looper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:16 AM

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets