Photo

Hackintosh Build for Video editing, Sound and Future Proof. Questions.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Luctantem Boy

Luctantem Boy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

This is my first Hackintosh Computer Build. The following is my selection after a lot of research and reading, Please kindly look into and have some questions so hope I'll get answers for my questions below. Thanks.

CPU  $324

Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K

Motherboard   $387

Asus P8Z77-V PREMIUM  

GPU $441   

EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW+ 4096MB GDDR5 256bit DVI HDMI DisplayPort 4-Way SLI Ready Graphics Card 04G-P4-3673-KR

RAM 16GB (2x8GB) :  $118

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz  

SSD for OS and Programs :    $178

SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB SATA 6.0

RAID for editing $2299
Promise Pegasus 12TB (6x2TB) R6 RAID System

PSU $129

Corsair HX Series HX750 Power Supply — 750 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Modular PSU

Cooler $109

Corsair Hydro Series H100i All-In-One 240mm Digital High Performance Rad Liquid Cooler for CPU

Case :  $179

Corsair Obsidian Series Black 650D Mid Tower Computer Case (CC650DW-1)

USB Flash Drive $12

SanDisk 16GB USB Flash Drive

OS X Mountain Lion  19.99 $

My add later List :

EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW+ 4096MB GDDR5 GPU  $441   

RAM 16GB (2x8GB) :  $118  Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 

Now :

MY REQUIREMENT:

Video Editing Raw/ Prores
Color Correction Davinci Resolve.
Vfx and other film related softwares.
Sound mixing
Feature film Editing and release purpose

MY CAMERA:

I'll have BMCC MFT Camera 2.5k RAW.

So now my main questions: 

1. Will this be perfect for video editing and all the processes involved in all phases and all softwares of a feature film.

2. Will this computer build will not get obsolete, parts wise at least say for next 3 years.

3. Am I making best decision in all the above individual parts or is there anything I have to change manufacturer wise or configuration wise.

4.  How far is my selection Future Proof?

Thanks for patience and hope I'll get detailed answers just to buy with peace of mind. also as said this is 1st time I'm building Hackintosh , So let me know if I'm missing anything. :)

Many Thanks.

#2 NickV

NickV

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

1) It will be fine for editing as you can just use a light codec such as ProRes LT for an offline.

2) It depends what you want to use it for. The CPU does the de-bayering and uncompressing, and the GPU handles the grading. If you plan to use heaver codecs in the future such as R3D, I would invest more in the CPU.

I've been told that the 600 series Nvidea cards don't show a large improvement over the 500 series (although they use less power). You might want to consider 2 used 580s instead. The Titans are meant to double the performance of the 580, and the high end Da Vinci systems use three of those. A titan would be a great card to start with if you can afford it. I would also look into getting a GUI card, so the Cuda card is free from GUI duties.

3) It's impossible to say what is the best config. When building a Hackintosh it is best to find a forum post by someone who has the same motherboard so you know that it works. You don't mention what monitoring system you will be using. A computer monitor can be okay if you're just showing it on the web, but a calibrated monitor is important for anything professional.

4) Again, it's hard to say. I went for a i7 3930 as it has more cores, and a GTX 580. I'm not sure whether to get another 580 or sell it while it still has value, and get a Titan. Unless you are using heavy raw files, I would concentrate on the GPU. If you can afford it now, I would get the Titan as it will probably be as fast as two 670s and only use one slot, leaving more space to upgrade. I would also look at more powerful PSU for future use.

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:52 AM

You need to use your full real name, it's one of the forum rules.

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine