1 reply to this topic

#1 Philip Kral

Philip Kral
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

I have an early model R16 Beaulieu, the one that's spring wound.

It has a rewind crank, which happens to be snapped off. But I noticed when I keep the shutter button pressed, I can also run it forwards as well as backwards.

Right next to the rewind crank is an opening where you could add an electric motor (Which no one to my knowledge has ever seen in person apparently).

I was curious, does anyone know if it's "bad" if I decide to try hand cranking the camera with the rewind crank? (To experiment/ get a particular look)

Normally I wouldn't even think about it, but for one the electric motor attachment point may connect to the same set of gears in the first place. Not to mention I have all the original instructions and nowhere does it say NOT to do this. We're talking about a time where there's warnings everywhere about how not to break your camera. Besides I figured if it wasn't safe to do, they'd engineer it the same way they engineered the crank for the spring motor- it would disengage if you turned it the wrong way.

Just curious if anyone knows for sure, otherwise I obviously probably shouldn't.  

#2 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1416 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:05 AM

The electric motor engages with the intermediate wheel that you turn with the little crank, so you can’t do any harm to the mechanism. Backwards you wind the spring. The governor is always active. With electric motors you’d set it to higher than the frame rate wanted for the motor not being braked.

The Beaulieu R is not very steady on stands. For hand cranking I’d choose a different camera like a Ciné-Kodak or a post-1963 Paillard-Bolex H. On the other hand you can rewind the Beaulieu’s spring during a shot which is also possible with a pre-1939 Paillard-Bolex H.

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Visual Products

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Opal