Sebastian Young

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

Hi All,

Newbie here!!! I really need some help choosing the correct camera for a reality show project I will be working on with some friends.

We are going to be making a reality show similar to "Big Brother" and "The Real World." We have a $10,000 camera budget to get

two cameras, preferably the same. The criteria we have for the cameras is that they must shoot in true hd, be easily operated by one

cameraman and most importantly shoot very well in low interior light. The house we are having our contestants stay in does not yet

have extra lights installed so we need to make sure that we can get the best picture quality from our cameras. None of the members

of the project have a cinematography background so we really need recommendations on what to buy. Thanks in advance:)

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:31 AM

I would seriously consider renting in such a situation. You could get cameras AND lights as a rental and tripods ect for a month with about 10K. Not a lot of any of the above but more than enough to carry you.

Personally I'd err towards Sony cameras for such things-- maybe something as proven as an EX1R, which has full auto functions but isn't really all that hard to operate. Your biggest issue with reality, however, is going to be post and how you're going to run all your audio.

#3 Randy J Tomlinson

Randy J Tomlinson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA / Europe

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

If you need FULL HD only then get a Sony EX1 as Adrian recomended or a a Sony HVR Z1 (these are cheap but very good)

As for the Audio, i would place a few very good MIC's around the rooms, pluged into a mixer and the output back into the cameras.

The EX1 has XLR inputs.

#4 Sabyasachi Patra

Sabyasachi Patra
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New Delhi/ Banglaore, India

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:48 AM

Choose which ever camera you are comfortable with. May be visit a rental agency and try out the cameras before deciding. You can also place a few Go Pros located at some places hidden in flower pots or something to get some few scenes to mix with your main cameras. Audio would be a challenge unless you ask the contestants to carry a small bag/pouch slung from their shoulders which contains a microphone. Otherwise sound quality would be uneven. Sound becomes important as you want to catch every whisper which can spice up your show. 

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Opal