• Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA / Europe

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:43 AM

I have just seen the Documentary of "Lost in La Mancha"

OMG This is a Nightmare.

The hard way to learn how NOT to do it....

Anyone knows this?

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11942 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

I just watched it myself.

To be fair, I don't think anyone, perhaps except the lead actor who might have been more upfront about his health (but also may not have known), was actually at fault. While I hesitate to speak for him, I'm not sure what on earth Nicola Pecorini was supposed to do about a bright sunny day full of desert that immediately became a dull overcast one full of rivers, other than go somewhere else to shoot the scene on another day.

P

#3 Randy J Tomlinson

Randy J Tomlinson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA / Europe

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

I think the location research was bad. ok, back then, they did not have google earth, but at least a map should have been consulted to see whats around. im not talking about the weather, poop happens, but the military airbase?

but well i should not open my mouth to wide as i still consider myself as a rookie and such things could easily happen to myself.

but i was kinda baffled by the "professionalism" of those guys (irony off)

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

The circumstances surrounding this project where nothing more than plain bad luck. How in the world could anyone have expected a once in a blue moon flash flood in the middle of the desert that would have destroyed the location and equipment? Similar events happened to both Spielberg and Coppola. Who would have expected the perfect actor for the role would underestimate the physical rigors of the part and how fragile his health was. Again, similar circumstances happened to Ridley Scott. Being an actor, myself, I would push myself to my limits to play a great role and one never knows just how much one can endure until is pressed to do what is required. I crashed a motorcycle once a short time before a performance, tore the hell out of my elbow and ankle. I went to the closest doctor we cold find, got sewn up and went back to do the show. By the time I was able to get back, the show had just ended so I missed it anyway but it was not for lack of trying. My point is that ANY actor would have most likely pushed himself further than he thought they could or should have. It's in our blood. Man of La Mancha was a noble effort that simply was cursed by the film gods. I personally would have loved to have seen the completed picture, but it was not to be. There is a glimmer of hope that Gilliam might at some point resurrect the project, though the odds are slim at best, but one can always hope.  B)       

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Technodolly