Jonny Franklin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

Hi All, 

I am currently looking into producing a video that needs a projector be on seen on screen, when I say projector, I mean the effect of the light flickering from the projector, and not the actual projection itself. Similar to this video:

My question is that when this effect is done, are real projectors used with a high wattage bulb, or is it a lighting effect, has anyone had any experience with this type of effect? If so how did you go about it? 

I imagine if it is not a real projector then maybe a hard source with a moving gobo? 

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Jonny

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7373 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

Easiest way is real projector with a high wattage bulb and a bit of smoke in the air. especially if you want to "see" the image in the smoke.
If you just want a light you can use a lot of theatrical lights which accept lenses (like a leko) on a flicker box.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12167 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

You can of course use a video projector. Consider using an LCD or LCOS type (called D-ILA by JVC, SXRD by Sony, etc) as they will have less tendency to flicker.

#4 Jonny Franklin

Jonny Franklin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hey Adrian,

Yes I did think about using a Leko or something similar, and using a moving Gobo with mixed colours to try and replicate a projection lamp, but was unsure if this would look too repetitive and fake? I might test a few different options including a real projector with a high watt lamp to see how they work on camera. 

Hi Phil, 

Thanks for the response, I did think about a video projector but did not know if the projection would be powerful enough once all of the on set lamps had been turned on. Have you used a LCD or LCOS projector yourself before when filming? If so how did it compare to the lamps lighting your subject? 

#5 Chanon Wangtrirat

Chanon Wangtrirat
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Bangkok

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Yes, It's real projector in cinema. Because normal conditions in theatres are Low contamination of dust so the stream of light is hard to see. 

This is achieve by using high-wattage projector which normally used in Cinema and use some hazer to make it more visible.

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS