Jonny Franklin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

Hi All, 

I am currently looking into producing a video that needs a projector be on seen on screen, when I say projector, I mean the effect of the light flickering from the projector, and not the actual projection itself. Similar to this video:

My question is that when this effect is done, are real projectors used with a high wattage bulb, or is it a lighting effect, has anyone had any experience with this type of effect? If so how did you go about it? 

I imagine if it is not a real projector then maybe a hard source with a moving gobo? 

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Jonny

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

Easiest way is real projector with a high wattage bulb and a bit of smoke in the air. especially if you want to "see" the image in the smoke.
If you just want a light you can use a lot of theatrical lights which accept lenses (like a leko) on a flicker box.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

You can of course use a video projector. Consider using an LCD or LCOS type (called D-ILA by JVC, SXRD by Sony, etc) as they will have less tendency to flicker.

#4 Jonny Franklin

Jonny Franklin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hey Adrian,

Yes I did think about using a Leko or something similar, and using a moving Gobo with mixed colours to try and replicate a projection lamp, but was unsure if this would look too repetitive and fake? I might test a few different options including a real projector with a high watt lamp to see how they work on camera. 

Hi Phil, 

Thanks for the response, I did think about a video projector but did not know if the projection would be powerful enough once all of the on set lamps had been turned on. Have you used a LCD or LCOS projector yourself before when filming? If so how did it compare to the lamps lighting your subject? 

#5 Chanon Wangtrirat

Chanon Wangtrirat
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Yes, It's real projector in cinema. Because normal conditions in theatres are Low contamination of dust so the stream of light is hard to see. 

This is achieve by using high-wattage projector which normally used in Cinema and use some hazer to make it more visible.

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Willys Widgets