#1 John Adolfi

John Adolfi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Producer
  • Fulton, N.Y.

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

With the rumors of new reversal film and a new super-8 camera on the way, it got me thinking about shooting home movies again. I could easily shoot digital video. But for some reason I don't. If I did, it's not going to be one a reel in a box waiting to be pulled out and shown in the living room some friday evening with the family. 

It's on a hardrive somewhere or worse, deleted. And if shown it's going to be on a 9" ipad.

What are your thoughts on the difference between a well shot super-8 film projected on a screen

vs. an excellent transfer on to a bluray and displayed on a 70" LED screen? When I was a kid, receiving a roll of processed Kodachrome and projecting it was pure magic. Is there a difference in the dynamic of projection of film vs. digital in a living room setting? 

#2 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

With reversal you always have the option of both, provided you have a projector. I just started burning Blurays of reversal and negative for my flat screen and digital projector and the results are very good. The new Vision 3 50D color negative super 8 looks stunning on bluray.

#3 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

If you start with a VERY good scan your blu-ray experience can be fantastic!  In fact, it's possible your blu-ray could be just slightly better than projected because of color and exposure correction.  Of course, if shooting negative film with Super 8 you don't have much alternative to blu-ray.

Nothing beats an uncompressed or lossless compression 2K scan of Super 8 E100D.  It's truly beautiful and on a good screen possibly better than projected!

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Opal