Photo

where to buy rags by the yard in the uk?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jake powell

jake powell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

simple question really ... where can you or do my fellow uk based guys buy your fabrics from ?

i want to buy stuff like duvetyn, china silk, ultra bounce , bleached muslin by length from a roll in large sizes.

it appears to be an easy task in america but i don't fancy paying loads for the shipping... 

(my girlfriend is poop hot at sewing and said she would make loads of rags for me with grommets / elastic corners or anything i just need to spec em hand her the materials and she will sew them for me - i know what a babe.  should save me a fair bit when it comes to shooting my first feature.. :) ..)

so yeah where do i buy these things in the uk? 

this is also my first post so hi guys, cool community you've got going on here , guna take a while to read some posts :)

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:18 AM

I'd just go to ebay or something. Sometimes you can get good deals on fabrics at street markets or in Soho in London.

P

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:06 AM

You don't say where in the UK you are but I second markets, or in London there used to be places in the colliers wood area (years ago now tho, so not sure on present situation!)

Good Luck!

Freya

#4 jake powell

jake powell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

im london based but literally anywhere that will ship to me at a reasonable cost! .... soho you say?! any more info on where? 

iv'e checked ebay but couldn't find anything suitable . mostly loads of backdrops for stills photography, but nothing like proper ultra bounce or flame retardant treated china silks...

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

There's a few places in and around Berwick street, but I couldn't swear that it's the best spot in town.

Coincidentally that's also been the semi-official location for our semi-irregular cinematography.com meetups. Perhaps we should arrange for one soon.

I wouldn't expect to be able to buy specifically movie-oriented stuff anywhere in the UK, except at very expensive rental places.

#6 jake powell

jake powell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

There's a few places in and around Berwick street, but I couldn't swear that it's the best spot in town.

Coincidentally that's also been the semi-official location for our semi-irregular cinematography.com meetups. Perhaps we should arrange for one soon.

I wouldn't expect to be able to buy specifically movie-oriented stuff anywhere in the UK, except at very expensive rental places.

that sounds promising il check it out, cheers . oh cool meet sounds good. and whats up with the lack of it in the uk?! 

what do you guys do when you need stuff? (do u ship it from overseas? ) 

#7 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3072 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

You should be able to find Duvetyne and Muslin at most textile suppliers. Be aware that they won't be treated with flame retardant, and so they are theoretically an issue for insurance. Duvetyne is also known as Black Bolton in the UK. Also, what is referred to as Muslin in the US is actually called Calico in the UK.

Ultra bounce and Silks may be harder to source. Your best bet may be to figure out what other mainstream uses these textiles have and then find their suppliers.

For instance:

http://www.amazon.co...S/dp/B007JB47UC

#8 jake powell

jake powell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

Be aware that they won't be treated with flame retardant, and so they are theoretically an issue for insurance. 

therein lies the issue as to why i wanted to source a proper film materials supplier ...

thanks for the info though :) (this might sound dumb but what is that tarpaulins film double?

cheers 

#9 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3072 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

what is that tarpaulins film double?

Ultrabounce or Griffolyn. Not an exact match, but close enough.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

The Slider

Opal

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape