9 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

Just started showing over here.

It has writing, acting and photography, all at once!

We are impressed.

#2 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

Woah! On the Teee Veee! (Or the iplayer in this case).

Thanks for the heads up Phil!

Definitely checking this out! :)

Freya

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:21 AM

Okay I've seen the first two episodes and I have a lot to say about it all!

Firstly to the cinematography, or the teletography or whatever. I actually really liked it. The cinematography is tasteful and subtle for the most part and has its own look. The thing I really liked about it was that it didn't look really Alexa-y like every over cheap tv serial does these days (and often the movies too). I did a comparison of shots from Alexa movies and really cheap tv series a while back and they all had a samey look and feel whereas Orphan Black scores massive points for looking a bit different despite also being a BBC Worldwide production like "Ripper Street".

Also I really liked a lot of the production design too which really worked. Minus points tho for some of the makeup effects, especially the woman hit by a train stuff. I'm sure I have scars which look nastier than that and I'm still alive and havn't been hit by a train. The makeup job made me thing of things like "Being human". Not good.

Lots more to say, when I get back from the shops...

Freya

#4 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

To add quickly to that, I think "Ripper Street" looks fantastic for something shot on a limited TV budget and I'm glad to see the Alexa helping with such things. Just in case anyone gets the wrong idea! :)

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

The problem with being hit by a train is that there doesn't really tend to be a body, more sort of separated components thereof - "Did we find all ten fingers, yet?". Nothing you'd want to embrace, certainly.

Not sure what it was shot on. Looked like slightly crushed blacks, to me. Which could mean anything, but is refreshing in these days of "oops we forgot we shot log" fogginess.

#6 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Looked like she was hit full on by a high speed train too, whereas in the morgue it just looked like she smashed a mirror and got hit by some flying shards of glass.

#7 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

Now to some of the things that worked less for me. The acting was a bit more patchy to start with which is a shame because it makes a bad first impression. It was great for the most part after the first tiny bit however. Why do people keep doing this? At least in this case they had the sense to open with a nice night time shot of trains and the city.

I felt there were also a few too many moments where problems were just swept aside like in the new Dr Who. Things seem to get magicked over. For example the car being shot to pieces and getting rid of the body. Where does she get the shovel from? We know she doesn't go back to the house for a shovel as it's established she is out all night. If she goes to the shops and buys one does she stash the car somewhere, it's a bit of a state and there is plenty of blood. Also it's established she still had blood on her when she goes to see her brother. So that wouldn't be great in the shops either but I'm sure she could explain it away. My best guess would be she broke into a bunch of garden sheds till she found a shovel but it looked new so maybe she did go to the shops. We do see her powerspraying the car clean in a garage late at night. How did she get access to this? Are places like this just left open at night in Canada/Generica? If we assume this is the same place she is ringing and asking “when do you open”, then how come she is able to ring them if they aren’t there and if they are closed then why are they answering the phone? Maybe she got lucky and snuck in during the period between them opening the shutters and opening the place proper, but that also has a few holes in it, and what is causing all the smoke in the far background? Is someone else working there?

They do really fast car repairs in Canada too it would seem.

#8 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

On the whole the writing is really good tho and the dialogue really works quite well and there is great acting from most of the characters. The biggest problem I have with it, is the fact it's made in a very BBC/british style, despite the fact it's made in Canada by Canadians. I guess they tried to make it as much in a sort of Sherlock / Dr Who style as possible. I find this really detracts from what is otherwise a really great series. The worst part of it is the comedy elements, especially the "I'm gay isn't it terribly funny" character. To be fair that character is better than he would be on actual Brit shows as he has some depth to him, and his own agenda to some extent. He also appears to be a bit visibly nasty in various ways tho how far they will run with that I don't know. I could live without the rather lame attempts at comedy tho. I think it would work a lot better if it was completely serious. I don't know if this side of things has arisen due to input from BBC worldwide or if they pitched it that way because they knew they were pitching to the BBC either way, it's a shame because the programme is a whole LOT better than that.

#9 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

Aside from the brit stuff, it also reminds me of "Six Feet Under" and I can't put my finger on why.

#10 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Episode 3

Oh and I love the tommorow people style titles! :)

Just realised that this must be the first time I have ever watched something on BBC3!

I guess they are trying to pitch this at a younger audience in the UK but it's better than the stuff they try and pitch at adults here.

Looks like her brother is turning out to be more of a complex character so that's good and I like the moral complications and it looks like there is going to be an interesting aspect to do with how very different people get along with one another.

Major bad points on the science tho. Identical twins do not have the same fingerprints. They asked the question so they should have researched this. Even the character in this episode is doubting this, so I don't understand why they did this. Maybe they have a great answer to this down the line somehow but it felt more like they just thought it would be a useful plot device. I felt that was poor tho, and given it is on BBC3 it is now teaching our youth really bad science. Very disappointed in this aspect which really let this episode down and detracts from the show as a whole. Can't really understand why they did it.

Freya

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc