I purchased a completely functional Canon 814 Auto Zoom from a German photography specialist. The handle heated up the first time I used it, then never again. The first two reels came out perfect; the third one didn't come out at all: the camera choked twice during the filming.
I figured out that it must have been a battery leak, and sure enough there was battery acid in the handle. So I spooned in thickly mixed baking soda, let it sit a while, then flushed it with water. Dried it out, then used alcohol to neutralize the baking soda and dried that. Now I put in new batteries and I get nothing: no camera function, and a hissing sound.
What's going on?