#1 Kale Kross

Kale Kross

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

I'm new to the forum, and new to cinematography. I have been provided a budget of roughly $4500 to get film equipment (NOT including post production equipment/software... just camera body, lenses and accessories). I am wondering if you guys could help me get the best bang for my buck.

I am going to be using it primarily to film music videos, that will be released primarily online and sometimes on television. I don't plan on filming "typical" music videos, but more along the lines of interesting short films to go serve as music videos. I will also need the camera to film live footage once in a while... so low light capability is a must.   

I will be DIY'ing most grip gear, such as portable lights, tracking, etc...

After some research I'm leaning toward this setup:

Canon 6D

Rokinon 14mm T1.5 Cine 

Rokinon 35mm T1.5 Cine

Rokinon 85mm T1.5 Cine (maybe?)

I also would like a 70-200mm f/2.8 lense, leaning towards a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 Macro to keep budget. 

I will likely be purchasing from ebay. Will also likely get a camera body bundle that will include some extra accessories

If anyone can lend any advice, equipment wise, where to buy, what else I may need (or instead) any professional advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

I don't think you'd need a 6D, as I see most people asking for a 5D MKIII. Personally, though, I'd look into a black magic camera as they offer quite a few benefits. I have the pocket, which I very much so enjoy minus the sensor issue which I need to have RMA'd.

Don't forget follow focus, mate-box, some ND filters at least, and a good sturdy tripod. Shoulder rig and extra batteries and cards, and some kind of on set card reader for whatever camera you go with. I think it's pretty much so 100% necessary to have at least that with you no matter what you do.

A lot of people also will want an external monitor.

#3 Randy J Tomlinson

Randy J Tomlinson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA / Europe

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

cheapest solution for music videos s this. a camera specially made for music videos

http://www.gizmag.co...recorder/29207/

#4 Kale Kross

Kale Kross

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

I'll take a look at the black magic cameras thanks for the help! I just want a really good final product. Movie quality is my goal.. Being a music video doesn't mean I want a typical music video. A high frame rate is also desirable. I was looking at a follow focus and you just reassured me that I want one.

The camera with the microphones on it looks interesting. Would be good for an all in one but isn't what I'm after. Any audio I'll be using will be either pre recorded or recorded separately through a mixing board into a good sound card into a computer. Thanks though! I definitely know of a lot of bands that could use something like this

#5 Kale Kross

Kale Kross

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

after looking into the Black Magic, I can see it's pretty well the same price as the 6D with less low light capability and inability to take photos. I'm still leaning toward the 6D. 

#6 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

cheapest solution for music videos s this. a camera specially made for music videos

http://www.gizmag.co...recorder/29207/

That is not a piece of professional equipment. It's the HD equivalent of an Instamatic.

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Visual Products

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS