Matthew Greiner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

Hello everyone, 

I'm shooting a scene involving a character who's been locked in what would visually equate to an underground prison cell for many years and my intention is to create a very dark and gritty look.  So, I've been exploring different ways to do that in camera as well as through lighting and I am wondering if anybody has experience applying a 'dusty' look to a clear optical flat filter?  Is there some kind of spray I can buy and apply to it without causing any damage to the filter?

I'd like the scene to appear almost as though we're seeing it through a dirty window pane with a texture similar to the photo below.

xepgn9.jpg

Matt 

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

Unless you are going to stop down enough so that the front of the filter starts to come into focus, or use a much larger piece of glass farther from the lens, or use a small sensor camera with a lot of depth of field... you aren't going to see any dust particle effect on the filter because it will be too out of focus.  At that point, something like a Smoque filter or a LowCon would be enough to have a bit of haze.  I mention a small sensor camera because when you stop down too much, filter patterns like the black specks on a Black Promist do start to come into focus enough to feel like a dirty lens.  GlimmerGlass also has a similar effect because of the silver glitter on the filter.

If you were using one of those depth of field adaptors that project a lens image onto a groundglass surface, that can also add that texture to the image.  Some people have even set-up a large format camera, like an 8x10, and rephotographed the image on the focusing screen.

#3 Matthew Greiner

Matthew Greiner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the quick response, David.  I'd like to keep the dust particles out of focus, but obviously I want them to play on camera, so what I think I will do then is use a larger piece of glass like you said.  Because this is only a short section of a much larger narrative, using a smaller censor camera won't be financially possible.  I will however have a smoque filter on-hand for some other scenes, so I might as well see how it looks for this one as well.  Thanks again. :)

Edited by Matthew Greiner, 06 October 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

I hate to be the guy to say it, but this stuff is very readily done in post.

#5 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia/Wherever The Wind Takes Me

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

using a smaller censor camera won't be financially possible.  

Have to say it - I can't even find the words to express how happy this sentence makes me. It's not something I'd ever have imagined hearing just  5 years ago!

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Visual Products