#1 John Paul Palescandolo

John Paul Palescandolo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Student
  • Madison, NJ

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

I'm looking for input on having my motion picture film negatives and positives professionally scanned in HD for purposes of preservation and maybe even recreating them in HD.

I'm wondering which places people may recommend to have film transferred at. I've gotten a few quotes so far, which I'll share below. Please chime in on whether you think the lab is reputable and whether their prices seem reasonable. Also, I'm looking for info on what kind of transfer to have done. Some places have quoted me for 2K scans for both 16mm & 35mm, others have quoted 3K for 16mm and 4K for 35mm.

I'm also looking for advice on the best format to have them transferred in - ProRes 422, ProRes 444? Is it best to have everything scanner at 2K or 4K and left in that format, or downscaled to 1080P after?

John-Paul

This is my quote from ColorLab:

Total Footage = 3,400

Total # of reels = 4

Film Prep

Ultrasonic Cleaning - 3400 feet x $0.07 per foot = $238

Film-to-Tape Mastering

HD Spirit Telecine Bestlight Transfer (16mm) - 1400 feet x 0.45 per foot = $630

HD Spirit Telecine Bestlight Transfer (35mm) - 2000 feet x 0.18 per foot =  $360

Reel Changes = 3 x $25 = $75

HDCAM Tape Stock (BCT-64HDL) = $90.42

Digitize HD Files on a Hard Drive - 1 hour x $300 per hour = $300

Subtotal - $1,693.42

10% Discount - $169.34

Total = $1,524

This is my quote from Cinelab:

• Cleaning Ultrasonic Film Cleaning and Video Prep of 16mm and 35mm films - No Charge
  • Scanning DCS:XENA 3K Pin Registered Data Scanning of 16mm 1,800 x 0.40 = 720.00
  • Scanning DCS:XENA 4K Pin Registered Data Scanning of 35mm 2,000 x 0.20 = 400.00
  • Reel changes Reel Changes 4 x 25.00 = 100.00
  • Setup Scan Xena Scanner setup charge 1 x 50.00 = 50.00
  • HD Recording Direct to Portable Hard Drive Recording/Laydown Fee 1 x 50.00 = 50.00
  • Encoding Encode to Final Cut ProRes or Avid DNX file format - 16mm 1,800 x 0.10 = 180.00
  • Encoding Encode to Final Cut ProRes or Avid DNX file format - 35mm 2,000 x 0.05 = 100.00

Total = $1,600

And my quote from Video Film Solutions

• Film Leader and Cleaning (if necessary) = $0.06 per foot x 3,800 feet = $228
  • 1800' of 16mm transferred on Spirit 2K to HD $0.22 per foot x 5% student discount = $0.20 per foot = $360
  • 2000' of 35mm transferred on Spirit 2K to HD $0.09 per foot x 5% student discount = $0.08 per foot = $160

#2 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

John Paul, congrats on shooting film and going through the process of shooting and scanning it. You'll have a leg up on many people getting into filmmaking these days in a digital world.

Just for future reference, the labs probably don't appreciate putting out their quotes like that for everyone to scrutinize; nothing wrong with transparency but they might have given you special deals that they don't want the whole world to know about.  :)

All the labs you got quotes from are great operations run by people who love film and love helping students out, you'll be fine at any of them.

If the prices are the same between ProRes 4:2:2 and ProRes 4:4:4 I'd go ahead and do the ProRes 4:4:4 simply because it has more information that could be useful down the road. As far as HD, 2K or 4K goes, in my experience 2K or 4K would be a scan of the whole negative so if you shot 4-perf 35mm you'll get the whole frame vs. an HD scan that usually would crop off the top and bottom to get to the 16:9 aspect ratio (unless you tell them not to but you'll get less resolution due to bars on the sides).

So in 35mm or non-Super 16 2K or 4K will give you more cropping/pan & scan options in post. However there's a big difference in cost usually between HD and 2K because 2K can take significantly more time to scan (depending on the scanner.)

Hope that helps. Keep up the film work and please post some clips when you can!

#3 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

Both are very good quotes.  I've dealt with Colorlab NYC, but only for film processing and basic film-to-tape transfers, and I've always been happy with the results.

I had a 16mm B&W short transferred to HD tape (on a Spirit 2K, I believe) with standard & Blu-Ray DVDs made at DuArt.  The final price wound up being a little higher (around $2,000,) but they were happy to work with me.  I was able to supervise the transfer and DuArt also put the design I requested on the DVD. 

So I would at least tell them what quotes you've already received from the other labs and see what they say they can do for you.  They are expensive but the quality is worth it.

Edited by Bill DiPietra, 01 November 2013 - 01:46 PM.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Visual Products