6 replies to this topic

#1 Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

Is there a quality difference between these two lenses. I saw some excellent shots with digital camera and 1.8 but I could not find the same job with 1.9.

All I found about 1.9 is junk , I am not claiming lens is worse but shooters were extreme amateurs with cheap processing.

And I found there are too many 1.9 for sell and all the digital shooters uses 1.8.

Why is that ?

Umut

Istanbul

#2 Zac Fettig

Zac Fettig
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Other
  • Boston

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

It looks like the f1.9 is fixed focus and the f1.8 isn't.

#3 Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

Thank you Zac.

Where the sharpness start from close distance to lens? I want to use the camera as animation single frame camera and before taking 2000 non sharp pictures , I have to be sure . Lets say aperture was wide open ?

Thanks again,

Umut

#4 Zac Fettig

Zac Fettig
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Other
  • Boston

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

If it's wide open, the focus has to be perfect for it to work. You'll probably have a lot better luck with a lot more light and closing the aperture as much as you can get away with (say an f8.0 or f11.0), to minimize depth of field problems.

Without reflex viewing, your best bet is to go off focusing marks. That said, it's anybody's guess how well it'll work in a 60 year old lens. If the work is critical, you'll need to have the lens checked over and the back focus adjusted. If you have a digital camera that can be adapted to a d-mount lens (like a Pentax Q) you could test it with a tripod and a tape measure.

Off hand I don't know what the minimum focus is on that lens (My C8 has a SOM Berthoit zoom on it). It's probably printed on the barrel of the lens (it looks that way in the photos). Again, lenses never perform best at the extremes. You'll have better results focusing somewhere in between the minimum focusing distance and infinity.

#5 ZHAOYANG CHANG

ZHAOYANG CHANG
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

Is there a quality difference between these two lenses. I saw some excellent shots with digital camera and 1.8 but I could not find the same job with 1.9.

All I found about 1.9 is junk , I am not claiming lens is worse but shooters were extreme amateurs with cheap processing.

And I found there are too many 1.9 for sell and all the digital shooters uses 1.8.

Why is that ?

Umut

I

Why is that ?

Umut

Istanbul

The different as I see is the 1.9 is older version, and 1.8 is newer, and the latest 1.8 lens has fixed filter ring inside the aperture ring, that it let the filter keep the same position while changing aperture.

#6 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:26 AM

The Yvar 13-1.8 is a Tessar type four element lens, the Yvar 13-1.9 is a triplet.

#7 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:20 AM

I have to correct myself. Both Yvar 13mm f/1.8 for 8mm film cameras (D mount) and 25mm f/1.8 for 16mm film cameras (C mount) are not Tessar types but have four separate lenses.

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc