#1 Marion Finn

Marion Finn

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

I've just been given a very clean Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon zoom lens 1:1.8 / 8-48mm, described as having a mount suitable for use with a standard 8mm Bolex. Sadly, it has no such thing, the male thread on my Bolex lenses being between about 14.78mm & 14.84mm in diameter. What it does have at the back is a revolving collar with a female thread about 23.10mm internal diameter, intended to be tightened with a C spanner, judging from the eight slots in its periphery. Can anyone tell me if this lens is suitable for use with the Bolex with an adaptor and, if so, what that adaptor would be? Is this a standard fitting? Thanks for your attention.

#2 Jean-Louis Seguin

Jean-Louis Seguin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

Better if you could post a picture.

My guess is that you probably you mean between 15.78mm and 15.84mm as the D-mount thread is 5/8" or 15.875mm.

If this a zoom lens with a dogleg viewfinder, that revolving collar is meant to go on the camera first and then you slide in the zoom lens assembly and tighten the locking ring.

Jean-Louis

#3 Marion Finn

Marion Finn

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

Thank you for that Jean-Louis.  Yes, of course I mean 15.78mm to 15.84mm - I'll really have to get one of those digital calipers and stop trying to squint at verniers!! 

And, despite my wariness of most things digital, I'll probably have to invest in a digital camera too - so useful for posting online pictures.  In the meantime though.....yes it's a dog leg finder.  But the locking ring, whilst revolvable on the lens barrel, is incapable of being removed from it.  Which seems to suggest it fixes to the camera as I described.  This impression is strengthened by the finder being swingable 180 degrees forward, to allow it to lie alongside the zoom barrel.  This makes it easier to get finger purchase on the collar and offer up the whole assembly to the camera. 

Incidentally, there is projection rearward of the collar by the rearmost lens element of some 5.4mm, its housing diameter being pretty much dead on 13.00mm.  Any help in identifying this strange creature? 

#4 Marion Finn

Marion Finn

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

Update

A little hunting around the internet produced the attached picture of the very lens I described, mounted on a standard 8mm Bolex. A slot in the revolving collar can clearly be seen. The lens is engraved “fur BOLEX”. Mine isn't and I wonder if it's for a completely different fitting, or is it able to be used with an adaptor for the Bolex?

Bolex 2.jpg  

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS