#1 Chris Johnston

Chris Johnston

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

I should start by saying that I'm new to the "Movie / Cinematography" side of things but have a few thousand hours of local broadcast TV time under my belt. 

(shooting, editing, directing, etc. etc.   Mostly boring stuff like cooking shows and Head n shoulders news type stuff)

I've recently come across an opportunity to shoot a feature length with a significant budget (for me anyways...)  for the sake for this post I'll tell you it's at least 1 million.  I don't imagine that means much to "Hollywood" types that are used to bigger budget jobs, but for me, well it's caused me to do much soul searching as to whether this is something I can pull off and make profitable.  

My concern is not with IF the movie can be completed but more with what to do after it is.

So my questions are more based in what kind of deals to expect if I shoot the film as I see fit and then trying to get distribution after the film is done rather than letting the studios have any input during the process of making it.

Is there any validity in that?  Would studios even bother distributing a film that they had no involvement with prior to???    If I do shoot it and they are interested,   what kind of cut of the gross should I expect they would want for the advertising and distro?    (and again I'll say that there has been significant interest,  but prior deals fell through due to "artistic differences" and (I speculate here) the amount of budget requested.   My intent is to shoot something more in line with what the studios wanted in the first place.   (and so, I would guess they would be interested since there isn't nearly as much risk to them other than advertising and distro costs??)

I know deals can go all over the place with varying cuts on theatrical distro, DVD sales, TV, international sales, streaming etc. etc. but realistically what kind of cut would be the norm for something like this?  Would I shoot and get distro and expect them to take 40% of the gross?  10 %,?

85%?      I can guess/ speculate what I think is fair and appropriate.  but I was hoping someone in the business could give me a little more insight as to what is realistic and site some examples if possible.

Thanks from the newbie...

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks