• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:35 AM

Ok who's been on Youtube lately and heard the audio ads they are running over the top of videos?

You are watching a video and then suddenly a very loud audio ad for every and all products under the sun suddenly comes on.  Even when you pause the video, the audio for the ad keeps running!!

This is absolutely the stupidest idea Youtube has ever had and they've had some pretty stupid ideas in their day.

Am I the only one hearing this BS on Youtube? Youtube execs if you are reading this you are going to have a full scale revolt on your hands as viewership drops like a stone.  How on earth can you even watch the damn video with audio ads coming on randomly though-out the video.

I've never seen a business decision that was dumber than this one.

R,

#2 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

I have not yet come across that, but the second I do, I am shutting that window in Chrome. I will NEVER stand for that kind of intrusion. 

#3 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

First thought was that videos are starting in tabs behind your current tab ?

But then, you seem like the kind of guy that would spot that if that were the case...

#4 Nicolas Courdouan

Nicolas Courdouan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

Some websites have embedded video ads on their pages, that only start playing XX seconds or minutes after the pages have been opened. I'm not sure I've ever encountered these on YouTube, but this could be what you're dealing with here.

The good news is that they are not superimposed over nor embedded within the soundtrack of the video you're watching, they're just regular video ads which should be fairly easy to spot if you scroll down the page. The bad news is I don't know of a good way to avoid them. The only thing to do is wait for them to start and pause them. You can also refresh the page and hope that the following one has a different, silent ad on it.

Or avoid those websites altogether of course...

#5 Travis Gray

Travis Gray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Boston, MA

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

AdBlock.

#6 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

I've certainly encountered pages where an advertisement started, loudly, but I couldn't find the damned thing because the video was small, buried somewhere near the bottom of the page. I had to scroll and look and look. 

When that happens now I just leave the page. Kiss it goodbye. I flat out refuse to deal with adverts.

#7 Brett Bailey

Brett Bailey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

I'll second Travis's comment.  I highly recommend "Adblock Plus","DoNotTrackMe", and "MaskMe."

#8 Zak Draskovich

Zak Draskovich

New

• Sustaining Members
  • 3 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Phoenix, AZ

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

I haven't run into that yet but there is another possibility if it continues for you it may be embedded in your computer. Try going to control panel or if you use firefox use their home page settings icon & deleting cookies, ad ons, etc. Iv'e been on utube as recently as yesterday. Good luck.

Visual Products

CineTape

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam