• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

Normally I would not share this story, but maybe it will inspire others who are in film school etc.

On Saturday we had the Toronto premiere of Against The Wild.  After it was over I was out on the street talking to some people.  I was tugged on my arm and a man and a woman were standing beside me.  The woman said, "our son needs to tell you something."  I look down and there's this cute little boy maybe 4 or 5 years old.

So I had to kneel down to his level so I could hear what he wanted to say.  He says to me, in his little voice, "I just want to tell you that your movie is better than my most favourite movie of all time now."  I said, "wow what is your favourite movie?" He said, "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, but now I like yours better."

I gave him one of my industry screeners, and he was so excited to be able to take the movie home before it comes out in stores.  He had paid me a 100% sincere compliment, with no "adult" motives.

If movies didn't cost so much, and needed to generate revenue, I would say that boy paid me in full for making the movie.

Ok it's a corny story so sue me.  But in the fake and cynical film world, this boy was a breath of fresh air.

R,

#2 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Normally I would not share this story, but maybe it will inspire others who are in film school etc.

On Saturday we had the Toronto premiere of Against The Wild.  After it was over I was out on the street talking to some people.  I was tugged on my arm and a man and a woman were standing beside me.  The woman said, "our son needs to tell you something."  I look down and there's this cute little boy maybe 4 or 5 years old.

So I had to kneel down to his level so I could hear what he wanted to say.  He says to me, in his little voice, "I just want to tell you that your movie is better than my most favourite movie of all time now."  I said, "wow what is your favourite movie?" He said, "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, but now I like yours better."

I gave him one of my industry screeners, and he was so excited to be able to take the movie home before it comes out in stores.  He had paid me a 100% sincere compliment, with no "adult" motives.

If movies didn't cost so much, and needed to generate revenue, I would say that boy paid me in full for making the movie.

Ok it's a corny story so sue me.  But in the fake and cynical film world, this boy was a breath of fresh air.

R,

It's far from corny, Richard.  Thanks for sharing.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

R,

I see now why you're so good at family fare. :D  Actually, Richie, that's a great story. congratulations on making a kid's day. Heart warming and very cool!

#4 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2429 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:29 AM

Thanks for an antidote to The Other Thread. Good luck.

#5 Pat Murray

Pat Murray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for sharing, Richard!  Terrific story.

#6 Sabyasachi Patra

Sabyasachi Patra
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New Delhi/ Banglaore, India

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:24 AM

Kids won't hide their emotions. They shoot straight. Some part of the kid has changed forever after watching this film. Thanks for sharing the story.

#7 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

Ok maybe you guys are not as cynical as I thought.  :D

Now all I need is 500, 000 more kids to agree with him.

R,

#8 Maxim Ford

Maxim Ford
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

Lots of children in Romania.

#9 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

Oh here's Maxim, he couldn't resist!

R,

#10 Kieran Scannell

Kieran Scannell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Netherlands/Ireland

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

Lots of children in Romania.

Lots of children everywhere, seems to me if your in the film business and you make a film for a child audience and get a remark like that from a 5 year old you go home with a big smile on your face!

Or do I need to be more cynical?

#11 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2429 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

replaced

Edited by Mark Dunn, 09 December 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#12 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2429 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

Lots of children everywhere, seems to me if your in the film business and you make a film for a child audience and get a remark like that from a 5 year old you go home with a big smile on your face!

Or do I need to be more cynical?

Yes you do in this instance, but not for that reason.

This is a cheap remark referring to another thread which apparently must now infect this one.

#13 Carl Looper

Carl Looper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:09 PM

Hi Mark,

now that the cat is half way out of the bag can you post the other thread to which you are referring?

I'm not one for sentimentality myself but I get it - have watched far too many mainstream American movies to not get it. So I'd accept Richard's little moment for what it is: something that requires cynicism to be put aside. One's battles can always be recommenced on another day.

C

#14 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

It's in the "Business and Legal Affairs" section Carl, under, "Freelance Living Wage."  The now 22 pager where we have tried to resolve all of societies ills.

But this thread wasn't meant to be anything about those issues.  This is about nothing more than a filmmakers end product connecting with a young person.  That's all.

R,

#15 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

I never thought a kid liking a movie he saw and telling the guy who made it that he really liked it would become controversial.

Visual Products

CineLab

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Abel Cine