New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student
  • United States

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

Hey fellow photographers!

A pretty burning question that I have for you guys...after reading the manual for Braun Nizo 801 I am still unsure as to how I can sufficiently capture some fireworks I am going to be shooting at night this week. I recently purchased a Braun Nizo 801 Super 8 and have never used it before...I put in a Kodak Vision3 500t canister and am hoping for the best, however I was wondering what the best way to capture the fireworks would be...I plan on getting as close as I can to absorb as much light from them as possible (don't worry I am approaching this with utmost safety in mind!) and don't think I should leave the exposure on "automatic"...should I turn the dial all the way counter clockwise? So confused. Here is another post off of this forum asking a similar question and providing the relevant excerpt from the manual. I feel a bit stupid because I am unable to understand it: 

http://www.cinematog...showtopic=57374

Many thanks for ANY advice!!!

#2 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

I would just set to manual exposure and open wide open. The latitude of 500T should be sufficient to get good results. Do not use an 85 filter.

#3 Mike Bao

Mike Bao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

Yeah,500T is close to what eye actually sees. I am pretty sure you will be able to expose properly. You can always gain exposure by shooting less FPS.

#4 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

Could be done but 24fps looks fine on fireworks at 500 Asa. Motion blur on the first burst is bad enough at 24 FPS. I definitely wouldn't go slower than 18.

#5 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3323 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:11 AM

There is a danger when being wide open at night of having a soft image, I suppose you would be wide angle and focus to infinity?

Probably want your camera tripod mounted, assuming your tripod is a decent one with ease of pan and tilting at a moment's notice.

Just for kicks, you should see if it is possible to adjust your f-stop to a 2.0 2.8 split for a short portion of the fireworks just to see if the picture looks sharper without too much loss of image. If you are open to treating this as an experiment, I would even go to f 2.8 and even 2.8 / 4 split.

18 frames per second versus 24 will get you an extra 1/3 of a stop of sensitivity. I forget how the manual shutter works on the camera, probably want to keep it as slow as possible to gain additional exposure time per frame.

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Technodolly