Photo

Where do I rent panavision lenses if I do not live in NY or LA?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Glover

Matthew Glover
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

Very curious.  I want to shoot a short film and I am doing it on Kodak vision 3 stock. It will be about 11 minutes long.  Already have the camera body, but would love to use some panavision glass.  Also I heard that in order to use panavision lenses you also have to rent their camera bodies.  Is this true?  I plan on shooting on the Arri LT by the way.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

Panavision cameras and lenses use PV-mounts, not PL-mounts.  So generally you rent both the camera and lenses from Panavision.  If you own an Arri PL-mount camera, you should rent PL-mount lenses for it.

#3 Matthew Glover

Matthew Glover
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Student

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:04 AM

Panavision cameras and lenses use PV-mounts, not PL-mounts.  So generally you rent both the camera and lenses from Panavision.  If you own an Arri PL-mount camera, you should rent PL-mount lenses for it.

Thank you David!

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

If you don't own the camera, there's a chance that Panavision has some converted Arricam LT's for rent with PV mounts, so ask them.  Otherwise, the Panaflex Millennium XL is the closest thing to an Arricam LT.

#5 Matthew Glover

Matthew Glover
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Student

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:16 AM

If you don't own the camera, there's a chance that Panavision has some converted Arricam LT's for rent with PV mounts, so ask them.  Otherwise, the Panaflex Millennium XL is the closest thing to an Arricam LT.

Is there a reason why most people shooting film tend to lean more torwards the Millenium than the Arricam Lts?  Is it really just down to the lens choices in the end?

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:55 AM

I don't think people lean towards or aways from a Millennium XL versus an Arricam LT, it's more a matter of whether they want to use Panavision cameras and lenses or not; if not, they are likely to want to use Arricams and PL-mount lenses.  Also, if you want to use Zeiss Master Primes, you would use a PL-mount camera, I don't believe they clear the shutter in a Panaflex.  

One advantage to Panaflexes is that the mirror shutter is farther from the film plane, allowing you to use behind-the-lens ND gels, which makes it easier for the operator to see the image in the viewfinder on a bright day.

#7 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:55 AM

Very curious.  I want to shoot a short film and I am doing it on Kodak vision 3 stock. It will be about 11 minutes long.  Already have the camera body, but would love to use some panavision glass.  Also I heard that in order to use panavision lenses you also have to rent their camera bodies.  Is this true?  I plan on shooting on the Arri LT by the way.

You can rent incredible lenses in PL mount. Cooke S4's are widely available in that format for example!

Theres also plenty available from Zeiss. No need to go the panavision route.

Freya

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

CineLab

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Opal