#1 Nicholas Kovats

Nicholas Kovats
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:00 AM

Toronto filmmaker, James Gillespie, treated me to his wonderful work in progress - a very special modified 1950's Specto all metal projector specifically for the ultrawide UltraPan8 film format. Extra rollers, modified step down transformer, brighter 300w halogen bulb and blue LED fans! 8fest is in for a treat next year (Jan, 2014).

Photos ->

Cheers!

Nicholas

#2 Nicholas Kovats

Nicholas Kovats
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

Some Specto history as provided by Tony Shapps, i.e. 

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Subject: RE: The UltraPan8 2.8 projector project
To: Nicholas Kovats <nkovats@gmail.com>

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for your email.  Also for the information on the dear old Specto (made in the town of Windsor in a factory near to the castle which is about 15 miles from where I live just North-West of London and one street outside of the latters boundaries).  The only thing missing on the model you saw is Stuart Warriners variable pitch control mechanism.

The Specto was available with interchangeable gates and sprocket wheels; this meant you could run Standard (Regular) 8, plus  9.5mm and 16mm film through the machine simply by changing over the parts.  Which is why we were able to turn one on its side and run it with the VistaVision format.  Did I ever send you a bit of HALF-SIXTEEN film?  If not let me have your address again and I'll try finding a bit of it when searching through for that other elusive roll of PAN-16.

Ian Smith, another gifted engineer, also converted a Specto (and Bolex H16) to run an enlarged 16mm format he called VARISCOPE.  Hi (that?) system was later adopted by Rune Ericcson to become what is professionally known as Super-16 using single perf stock and opening up the gate on camera and projector to take advantage of all the emulsion area.

The original Specto 'featured' a dim 500-watt tungsten pre-focus lamp and a fairly bulky stepdown transformer with a number of tappings for different voltages.  Additionally to the above, there was also a hi-speed analyser version used by research departments etc.

Kindest personal regards and, of course, the Seasons Greetings from sunny Moor Park and a Great New Year.

Tony
tony@shapps.com

Editor: AV CONCEPTS
now with in excess of 7000 readers

Edited by Nicholas Kovats, 15 December 2013 - 10:57 AM.

Tai Audio

Opal

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

CineLab

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly