Photo

How do modern Panavision and Arri film cameras compare with one another?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Reuel Gomez

Reuel Gomez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

How do the Millennium/Millennium XL2 and the Arricam's compare with one another? What are some pros and cons of each system? What do they have in common?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

Depends on if you are asking as a DP, operator, or camera assistant. The small latches and loops in a Millennium XL make it a pain to thread, but then, I never have to thread the camera as a DP.  The fact that you can put your ND behind the lens on a Panaflex makes it easier for the operator to see when you are shooting outside in the sunlight, but that doesn't make as much difference to the camera assistant. 

I think the main issue is whether you want to work with PV or PL mount lenses.  If you want to shoot with Zeiss Master Primes, you may have to work with Arricams, I believe that they stick into the mount too deeply to clear the shutter on a Panaflex (and the fact that the shutter is moved forward on a Panaflex is why there is room for behind the lens gels.)  However, I believe most PV mount lenses are adaptable to Arricams.

You can set the shutter angle to 200 degrees on a Panaflex rather than 180 degrees on an Arricam, but that only buys you 1/6th of a stop more exposure.  I'm not sure if the max frame rate on a Millennium-XL hits 60 fps, it may be 50 fps, but I think an Arricam can do 60 fps, but you can look this up.

Picture quality would be the same, but then, it would be the same if you dragged out a 40-year-old PSR or a 30-year-old Arri-BL3...

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS