I'm beginning to look into HFR cinematography as a possibility for use in a future project but also out of personal curiosity . Apart from watching the The Hobbit last year, which left quite an impact (not all good, but definitely intriguing and some very unique experiences), I have no knowledge or experience of HFR others than the pure basics. I will be doing the usual Google and forum searches but I was wondering if anyone had particular resources they would recommend, for example;
- research papers and audience feedback on how it is perceived by audiences themselves
- historical information on how HFR been used in the past
- information on the current state of HFR technologies right now e.g. Douglas Trumbull's new tech, other new films in production now at HFR
- discussions or articles on the impact of HFR on cinematic style
- HFR samples at different frame rates e.g. 48, 96, 120
- I'd also like to look into the difference HFR make to 2D compared to 3D.
- HFR distribution and projection (what % of theatres can project HFR, are there known issues etc)
Additionally information on the practical side from anyone who has shot it would be useful. I imagine the impact here is mainly from a post point of view since the biggest difference is surely the additional data?
And yes, I am off to see the Hobbit: TDOS tonight in HFR, so that's my most immediate port of call!