1 reply to this topic

#1 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hi everyone.  I'm currently investigating just how feasible it would be to shoot my next short on a small sound-stage.  I've always shot on location, but it may be easier to shoot the principal photography on a sound-stage this time.  I'm looking for something very basic.  All I need is a small, one-room set-up, but I think even the most modest facility will wind up being more than I need.

If anyone has had any good experiences with any particular facilities here in NYC, please post or PM me. 

Thanks.

#2 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

There are lots of stages around the NYC area. But they are not necessarily inexpensive. If money is no object you could shoot at Silvercup or Steiner and rent their lighting gear too. Or you could try Luna/Broadway Stages in Astoria. They have gear also and will most likely be more affordable than Steiner/Silvercup/KAS. Steiner and Silvercup do have a few small stages available that commercials typically use for a few days at a time.

There are a few small insert stages around but real estate is expensive in NYC and many of those have closed up shop as the land was more valuable than a stage.

There is also a lot of TV work in NYC right now taking up much of the work space.

You could try one of the small artist spaces in Bushwick or Bed Stuy that have cropped up lately too, but you may have to bring a generator and your own lights.

If money is tight, I would find an industrial building you can build something in or stick with an existing location you can work with.

Best

Tim

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post