Sony has announced what appears to be a very cool little 4K camcorder with a large-ish sized sensor and a fixed Zeiss lens for just $2000.
The 4.2.0 8-bit compression is obviously the weak link in this product, however it's not a deal breaker. This affordable camcorder puts 4K acquisition into the hands of amateur filmmakers, and since the codec will not allow for much post correction, the cinematographer is forced to strive for a finished look in-camera.
- Capture 4K at 24p and 30p, 1920x1080/60p, 30p, 24p
- 1" Exmor R® CMOS sensor with direct pixel readout
- 14MP video and 20MP still image capture
- XAVC-S, AVCHD and MP4 codecs
- Carl Zeiss® Vario-Sonnar T* lens with 12x optical zoom and optical stabilization
- 4K Recording using H.264/MPEG-4 XAVC codec 4.2.0 8-bit
- Built in ND filters
- Manual Exposure Assist : Zebra Pattern Display
- Manual gain, iris, focus, white balance and audio levels