You have $16 million canadian dollars to make a sci-fi movie.
1) Make a somewhat by the numbers Alien rip off.
2) Make an intelligent and groundbreaking sci-fi movie.
3) Make a sci-fi movie featuring Giant Robots.
4) Make a worthy sci-fi movie influenced by classic soviet sci-fi
5) Make a sci-fi movie, a lot like alien, only replacing Xenomorphs with kick ass zombies instead.
6) Make a sci-fi movie featuring a farmer who wants to be an astronaut.
7) Make a sci-fi movie influenced by the best of David Cronenberg
8) Make a sci-fi movie about the nature of reality.
9) Make a sci-fi movie dealing with time travel and a complicated looping narrative
10) Make a sci-fi fantasy movie with some well respected actors from long ago and featuring a couple of friendly robots battling against the forces of evil.
Theres no right answer but one of these options strikes me as being especially lame even compared to the other options.