Photo

How to get a movie look from a particular time period.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Trevor Marshall

Trevor Marshall

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

Hello, I was just curious. I noticed that throughout each decade, the grading or photoquality seems to be getting sharper and sharper. For instance, in the 40's the sharpness was granier than movie's from the 50's. And movies from the 60's looked sharper than movies from the 50's and so on and so forth down the line until now.

My question is, does anyone know a way to reverse engineer and make a film look older or from a particular time period? I really liked how films looked in the late 90's (Magnolia, Get Carter, The Beach are my favorite-looking films). And I was wondering how do I get a film to look color-graded from a particular time period? Is it the cameras? Is it the stock? Is it the post-production process? I openly admit I have no knowledge in this and I was hoping if anyone can help me.

I  want to film an independent film using professional and cinematic cameras, supplies, etc. I don't like the way today's movies, television looks - everything is way too clear and photogeneic. I like the more earthily looking composition that the pre-digital/pre-2000's era brought.

Much appreciated.

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Technodolly

Tai Audio