No replies to this topic

#1 John1

John1
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

I really need help and advice from people who are elders in cinematography. I am a college student in my early 20s studying Microbiology. Cinematography has been my passion for long and I know microbiology is not really what I want to do, it shooting, I want to do, it is in me. My passion for it has kept me awake all night and day, searching for information here and there all over the internet reading any and all cinematography books that comes my way, training myself, learning about cameras and how they work, learning of all the basic rules of cinematography, watching videos on youtube. In total I have read more than a 1000pages of books on cinematography and I dnt seem to ever get tired. I just feel more hungry for cinematography knowledge. My main point of interest is I want to direct and shoot music videos but in the course of reading and research, I discovered cinematography was wider than I think. Please pardon me for the long story. I have read many books and they are so self explanatory that I feel they are as simple as they are written. I have short some short videos with basic consumer cameras howver, I got my first official video job not quite long and it was a commercial like a presentaion. I decided I wanted us to use whitescreen and we did. I was even lucky to be provided with a canon 7D free of charge but when it was time to practicalise everything I have learned over the months, everything changed. First it was whitebalance. I have read so much about white balance that I know that if you want to get the best white balance, u need to switch off the auto white balance and go manual. However was I settin the white balance, I seem to notice no difference(I don't know if its my eyes that is not sharp not to notice any diffrnce. Any valie I set the white balance to seem to looks fine and ok to me, which I know shouldn't be. I jst selected 3500 since I was using three red head light. Next, when it came to lightin as well, this wasted overe 3hours of my time as I kept adjusting the light. There was this shadow that kept drawing itself on the backgrounnd. When I adjsut the light and eliminate one shadow, another shadow comes up from the light I used to wipe off the first shadow. I have read so much about lighting that I felt I was a failure. I have watched instructional videos, I have reasearched am read more about photography than I have read my normal school books. But when it was time to practicalise, everything changed. The confidence I had in myself vanished instantly. I shot the video shabilly and after editing and everything, I watched the video and felt ashamed of my self. I used canon 7D and the result was almost like using a consumer camera to shoot. I really need your advice. My passion for cinematography grows everyday but when I shot the video, I Started doubting myself. Please advice me. Did this happen to you when you started as a cinematographer. What can I do. What will help. How long before I become a pro. Or is it that I have not studied enough. I feel disappointed in myself.

Edited by John1, 23 January 2014 - 01:15 PM.

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Opal

The Slider

Glidecam