3 replies to this topic

#1 Aladdin Royaal

Aladdin Royaal

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:01 AM

Hi am shooting a music video in a warehouse and i really want to get the same colors as this new video from Justin Bieber. http://www.vevo.com/....t/USUV71302873.

I love the saturated Blue scene and the saturated Orange Scene. My question is was this done with gel lights or shot correctly balanced and later pushed that way in grading. Or probably both. I was thinking for the orange using Lees Vapour 612 Gel on my Back Light or Lights depending on the scene. My scenes will have max two actors for the wide shots. 

Can someone please give me advice how to light this. I keep looking at the behind the scenes footage and it looks like they werent gelled but in other scenes it looks gelled. MAybe the white balance of the person shooting the BHS didnt correctly have his camera white balanced so i dont know. If i can get the look right without having to key skintones in grading later it would be better which is why i was leaning towards geling the lights but im a newby so i need some expert advice.

Also if anyone has some camera looks for this that would be great as well.

#2 John1

John1
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

You could tweak colours in postproduction. You don't have to use gelled light. If you know how to find your way around twisting colours in postproduction, you can do it

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

They Gelled the lights-- and shot with a proper WB and then of course would've pushed it a bit in the grade. You can start for the orange with double full CTO.

#4 John Miguel King

John Miguel King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • London, UK

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:02 AM

Certainly gels. It's virtually impossible to light and shoot with the same colour on all lights and then pick and choose the colour of each in the grade.

You'd need a whole lotta vfx, 3d models, relighting and compositing to simply somehow approach that look, and it would never look right.

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Opal

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly