2 replies to this topic

#1 Suvikram Bedi

Suvikram Bedi

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:56 AM

Hi... Just needed some clarification... If i shoot a project at 25fps (in India) ... And am using tungsten lights, kinos and 6k pars... And if i play around with shutter angle (go tighter)... As I want objects falling in the foreground (leaves and twigs) to look crisper... Is there a possibility I'd encounter flicker ????

Thanks

#2 Will Barber

Will Barber
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

If they're brand name kinos, I'd sure hope not. Cheaper off brands may flicker, you might wanna test those if you're nervous about it. You shouldn't have any problems with the tungstens.

#3 Guy Holt

Guy Holt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Boston

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Hi... Just needed some clarification... If i shoot a project at 25fps (in India) ... And am using tungsten lights, kinos and 6k pars... And if i play around with shutter angle (go tighter)... As I want objects falling in the foreground (leaves and twigs) to look crisper... Is there a possibility I'd encounter flicker ????

Thanks

You won’t have any flicker issues with the tungsten lights. And, as long as you use Kino Flos you won’t have issues because their ballasts operate at very high frequencies (20-40kHz.)  Where you might run into trouble is with the 6k Par. If you end up with a 6k with a magnetic ballast and a generator that is not governed to film specs, you will definitely have flicker problems. There are too many variables to say with certainty, so I would suggest you use this link for why HMIs flicker and how you can avoid it.

Guy Holt, Gaffer, ScreenLight & Grip, Lighting Rental & Sales in Boston

CineTape

Opal

Visual Products

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post