4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

I am going to LA next week and want to bring my Beaulieu 4008. It has external NiCd batteries. Can I bring them via carry on or even check these batteries. I can not find an answer anywhere I have looked so far.

NiCd.jpg

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

I'm not aware there's a problem with nickel cadmium batteries, but no matter what anyone tells you, your ability to fly with your gear is going to be highly dependent on the person you happen to meet on the day. A large number of airport security people are:

- Not terribly well informed

- Not terribly interested in their jobs

- Terrified of being responsible for hundreds of deaths

...which can lead to intransigence and ignorance of the rules, and not giving a damn. Obviously this doens't help.

The American TSA, while multitudinous and ultimately doing a job everyone would rather was unnecessary, seem to be quite competent and switched-on to their own rules, regardless of whether anyone likes the rules or not. Other places, including the UK, seem to employ anyone who'll take the wages, and performance is highly variable. Very likely they'll see a battery that isn't a laptop or camcorder battery, and query it.

If you choose to travel with them, I recommend printing out the most official-looking paperwork you can find stating "zero lithium! safe to fly!", assuming that does actually satisfy the rules for the jurisdictions through which you're travelling.

And either way, have a bailout plan: on departure, have someone with you at the airport who can pick up stuff they won't board, or have a plan in all cases to mail it onward, or to your home, in case you can't get it on board. Know where to buy replacements at your destination. But no matter what you do, you will never be able to get something past an airline security person that they don't want to let past, no matter what the correct rules actually say.

Needless to say, the "responsible for hundreds of deaths" issue stands. Whatever you fly with, it's obviously your responsibility to ensure it's safe. Any battery can start a fire. Pack properly. You don't want to be that guy.

P

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

Phil is right it's about Lithium Ion Batteries on flights (remember Lithium from Chemistry class!?) whereas Nickel Cadnium is just poisonous more than explosive.

However you may have to explain yourself and be treated like a criminal anyway. It all depends.

Freya

#4 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

If you're traveling through at least two West African nations that spring to mind you can always bribe them... In fact it'd be considered rude not to.

;)

#5 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

Thanks all.  I am most likely going to bring a different camera, alas. Can I walk into Kodak in LA and buy carts of super 8?

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post