5 replies to this topic

#1 Nealesk

Nealesk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

Hi, new member here. I asked a question over in the 16mm forum about purchasing a camera and got incredible responses so I thought I'd ask another perplexing question.

I'll be traveling to Cambodia, Kenya & Ecuador this summer to make my newest film. I will probably take 1000-2000 feet of film in 100 foot spools.

So my question, how does traveling with film work? Don't you have to get everything X-Rayed when you travel by plane? What is the best way to approach shooting film when traveling to different countries??

Any ideas are much appreciated!

Thanks

#2 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

There have been one or two threads on the Xray issue.  If you find one you could resurect that.

Cheers.

#3 Heikki Repo

Heikki Repo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Director
  • Finland

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

You can travel with film but NEVER put it in the checked luggage (= luggage that goes in to the cargo hold). Those x-ray scanners are powerful and will almost definately ruin your film. Hand luggage -- the luggage you can take with you when boarding the plane -- should be safe as those x-ray scanners are usually much weaker.

Kodak suggest their film material should never be x-rayed. Unfortunately that isn't always possible. However, if you follow the guideline mentioned above you should be safe in most cases.

#4 Kip Kubin

Kip Kubin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

TSA will hand check film if you ask.

Always ask.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:04 AM

Ask for a hand check of film-- and keep a changing bag with you as well.

Also investigate if you can buy stock in country-- or have it shipped to your hotel/place you're staying.

Never check film-- always carry on.

Minimize the amount of times it goes through X Ray

Once exposed, see if you can ship it out of the country for processing-- or if there is a lab near you (check with Kodak they keep a list).

Also the slower the stock the less you have to worry about.

DO NOT PUT IT IN LEAD LINED OR X RAY PROOF THINGS-- This will only mean they will turn up the power on their scanners.

#6 pierre robichaud

pierre robichaud
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

I've found drastic inconsistencies with this. One airport will allow you to pass and others will not let you through. I stated the hand check policy and was told by a TSA agent, " I'm not sticking my hand in there. I don't know what you could have in it." I had to stay behind in Newark to go to the nearest FedEx station and have all of our negative sent that way. Most TSA security X-rays state that anything below 800ASA is safe, but as with all other TSA statements I'd take it with a grain of salt. Bottom line is, as others have suggested, be prepared to have it sent out of country prior to your departure.

good luck!

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies