• Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2424 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:12 PM

Britain is a very class orientated country

Pav

Can't say I've noticed. But then people who are looking for trouble tend to find it.

#42 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:32 PM

I would point out that in the entire history of this forum, during which dozens and dozens of people have appeared asking for advice about the UK industry, this is the first instance, ever, under which anyone has reported any success.

Beyond that, all I can say is that training is not employment.

P

#43 John E Clark

John E Clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Other
  • San Diego

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:51 PM

I would point out that in the entire history of this forum, during which dozens and dozens of people have appeared asking for advice about the UK industry, this is the first instance, ever, under which anyone has reported any success.

Beyond that, all I can say is that training is not employment.

P

In the US there has been much debate on the topic of 'unpaid internships'. Some of the cases are working towards the Supreme Court.

At the moment, if one 'pays' an intern... well... they are a paid employee, so they have whatever rights and protections that employment law provides.

If the 'intern' is unpaid, things get murky as to what they would be 'learning' as on the one hand the 'intern' must receive the 'benefit' of the experience, whereas the company cannot receive a 'immediate' benefit. Some small companies can't have someone just 'around', occasionally performing some minimal activity, for which the company does not benefit. The intern obviously 'benefits' in the sense of seeing how actual work is done... running around, screaming and shouting, drop dead deadlines, etc...

There were several interns on the film "Black Swan"(2010) who sued for employment status, and the court ruled in their favor in 2013... 3 years after "Black Swan" was released. Appeals are being made...

The net effect is companies will review their 'interest' in interships, and perhaps some number will no longer extend the offer, or, basically create a 'hiring' category of 'trainee', and go from there.

Edited by John E Clark, 11 December 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#44 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:24 AM

Internships in NYC must (legally supposed to...) either fulfill some sort of school credit or pay some type of wage.  Internships aren't supposed to be free "slave labor".  Many companies simply ignore the law knowing the interns aren't going to raise a fuss.

#45 jake powell

jake powell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:33 PM

Ok firstly trainee isn't an 'intern' here in the UK trainee is just the lowest paid rank , we are training but on the job and getting paid (fairly well by starter salary standards ) . That said discussion into internships isn't null and void I admit as undoubtedly they do exist and get exploited . I just happen to have had the luck of only ever doing a grand total of about 10 days work experience before people started paying me.

Freya reading it back maybe I came across as slightly harsh then , I wasn't really criticising the feedback , I just thought I would let it be known that it isn't my personal experience , balance the books as it were as I would hate to think people would give up or be put off if positive feedback didn't have an online

Pavan - I'm not sure where I sit on this one , because I certainly am middle class but I don't think my class has much to do with me getting ahead . And in addition to this I've met a hell of a lot of very respected working class people in my brief time in the industry so far , if anything I would say my class has been a disadvantage as some sparks find it a bit off putting when they think you're a right **(obscenity removed)** toff and have been to private school etc . (I haven't at all ) .

Miguel - no in fact perhaps you already know this but the people who have been helping me get my work and that I'm working with again on this one were very much involved in a good few of those titles .

Regardless all I wanted to do by following this up is to bring some balance and show other young hopefuls that however hard it is possible . And yes I know my work may dry up at some point but so far Ive had quite the roll .

#46 Khalid Khan

Khalid Khan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

Ok firstly trainee isn't an 'intern' here in the UK trainee is just the lowest paid rank , we are training but on the job and getting paid (fairly well by starter salary standards ) . That said discussion into internships isn't null and void I admit as undoubtedly they do exist and get exploited . I just happen to have had the luck of only ever doing a grand total of about 10 days work experience before people started paying me.

Freya reading it back maybe I came across as slightly harsh then , I wasn't really criticising the feedback , I just thought I would let it be known that it isn't my personal experience , balance the books as it were as I would hate to think people would give up or be put off if positive feedback didn't have an online

Pavan - I'm not sure where I sit on this one , because I certainly am middle class but I don't think my class has much to do with me getting ahead . And in addition to this I've met a hell of a lot of very respected working class people in my brief time in the industry so far , if anything I would say my class has been a disadvantage as some sparks find it a bit off putting when they think you're a right **(obscenity removed)** toff and have been to private school etc . (I haven't at all ) .

Miguel - no in fact perhaps you already know this but the people who have been helping me get my work and that I'm working with again on this one were very much involved in a good few of those titles .

Regardless all I wanted to do by following this up is to bring some balance and show other young hopefuls that however hard it is possible . And yes I know my work may dry up at some point but so far Ive had quite the roll .

Exactly, good job mate. I've seen your IMDB account. It's quite impressive. Its a shame I'm living in the North West. Keep on working and you'll be the 2nd AC in no time! 

#47 Brenton Lee

Brenton Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Student
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

This has been a most enlightening thread.

Make sure you remember to send the elevator back down when you get to the top, haha.

#48 Bradley Tyler

Bradley Tyler

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student
  • Halstead

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:37 AM

This has been a most enlightening thread.

Make sure you remember to send the elevator back down when you get to the top, haha.

I agree with Brenton here, it has been very enlightening to read everyone's views and opinions. As it has been a few years since this topic was started would you say the situation is still the same? 

I have seen in the last two years that there has been a little more support - WB and Pinewood (?) introducing a scheme (which I do not qualify for) and there are one or two camera trainee schemes coming up that I will apply to but outside of that I haven't seen anything else. Camera Trainee roles never seem to be advertised or I am looking in the wrong place?

I have been applying for work experience in camera rental companies in London as well as asking friends and a few contacts if there's any work or shoots that I can shadow on but it still feels like a who you know business and still just as difficult to get into despite the few extra schemes. I'll keep trying and I am determined to make it as a trainee but if any of you guys have any more advice on top of what has been said already or if I am looking in the wrong place do feel free to share! 

But yes, going all the way back to it: Jake, I am so glad that everything worked out for you and it's great to hear that someone has succeeded - I hope to one day work alongside you! And to everyone who has contributed their advice and opinion so, thank you, it is very much appreciated and I look forward to hearing what others say in regards to this topic.

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Opal

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc