Jabari Clarke-Pennegan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:06 AM

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I hope that this will be a good place to get constructive feedback on different projects that I work on, as well as being able to learn and improve. I recently shot a short film (I'm also the director and the editor) it was a one day shoot, pretty much no budget.

So far feedback on the film itself has been very positive. I've put together a little trailer to represent it online but I'm not sure if the trailer is hitting the mark, here it is:

The feedback on the film so far is that no one can tell or predict what the story is about until the end of the film, everyone who's seen it says they are surprised by the ending, which I believe is good, but it would be hard for you to get that if you haven't seen it.

The lead actress said to me that people who she's shown the trailer to say it's nice but that they don't understand the story, I say that's a good thing, because if you understand what the film is all about just from the trailer then there's no point in seeing it, if the trailer makes you ask "What is this about?" then you will probably want to sit and watch it, but if you say "Oh I get it, this is just like X movie or Y movie" then maybe it's not as intreguing to see it, if you understand my point... Maybe I'm getting to long winded.

In any case all I really want to ask is, does this trailer make you want to see the film?

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

The lead actress said to me that people who she's shown the trailer to say it's nice but that they don't understand the story, I say that's a good thing, because if you understand what the film is all about just from the trailer then there's no point in seeing it, if the trailer makes you ask "What is this about?" then you will probably want to sit and watch it, but if you say "Oh I get it, this is just like X movie or Y movie" then maybe it's not as intreguing to see it, if you understand my point... Maybe I'm getting to long winded.

In any case all I really want to ask is, does this trailer make you want to see the film?

Well the comments from your lead actresses friends are right on the money.  The trailer makes zero sense, sorry, F-.

The purpose of a trailer is to put, "asses in the seats."  If it doesn't do that, it's a failure.

Your thought process that people will want to see this because they can't figure out the trailer isn't correct.  You wanted honest feedback, and there you go.

I would start from scratch and think, story, story, story, first.  Yes you need to "tease" the movie.  But right now you've got an eclectic mix of imagery that has no relevance to people that have not worked on this.  I would suggest you find a good trailer cutter and ask them to make a trailer without any input from you, and see where that gets you.

R,

#3 Jabari Clarke-Pennegan

Jabari Clarke-Pennegan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Thanks.

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera