27 replies to this topic

#1 John1

John1
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:04 AM

I just got a new GH2 and it is sort of my first DSLR camera. Couldn't get the more sophisticated Canon camera because of money. Still a student. However, after much research, i saved up to get a Panasonic GH2 and i have read hundreds of review from people using the camera of how much they loved the camera. I have seen many sample videos of the camera too how they appear beautiful and lovely. However, when I made from first shot from the camera, this is the horrible video i got. Sky totally washed out.... Horrible colour, horrible wind noise, horrible everything. Please is there a setting i should have adjusted. I dint use automatic, i used manual but i think there were so many things i got wrong in the setting. This is my first DSLR camera and it made it look like DSLR are very complicated. Please help out. What should i have done. Dont worry about the shaking aspect, i know i could use a tripod to get a stable image, but the quality is extremely horrible. I don’t seem to like the colour and quality I am seeing. And I have seen many good looking, lovely videos shot with Panasonic GH2. Another problem, when I play the raw file on my system, I get to hear the audio but when I import it in to premiere pro, no audio. What was i supposed to do to get the best out of this camera and shoot good videos like I have seen other people do. Or is this video good? Or is it my eyes?. Please check the horrible videos here

http://youtu.be/hOI3aQBGXJs

#2 John1

John1
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:06 AM

This is the second video http://youtu.be/RBfvfYYXWWE

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

I think it's just overexposed. Check shutter speed, aperture, and sensitivity (probably called ISO). Looks like it could be two F-stops over.

The built-in microphones on most stills cameras are very basic and you would probably want to use an external microphone for most work - wind noise is common. Most of the GH2 videos you've seen will almost certainly be using external mics, or no live audio at all.

P

#4 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

Just looks very overexposed to me! :)

Freya

#5 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

Not sure if you're planning to shoot anything scripted but when I was a student and we shot on film, even our Bolex's were outfitted with accordion style matteboxes.  Nothing super fancy.  Most of them didn't even hold filters.   Just something meant to protect the lens from light hitting it and washing out the image.  

The one thing you would want on any camera if you're concerned about image quality is accessories for controlling the light hitting the lens.  Mattebox, eyebrow, 4x4 filters etc.

Even 100 ISO can be too bright for some DSLR's on a sunny day.  There are screw on variable ND filters but that still won't help with ambient light hitting the front of your lens and washing out your image.  Best thing for lenses of 24mm or wider is to employ a mattebox 4x4 nd filters and hard mattes.  If you're using 35mm or longer, you can get by with long lens hoods to help get rid of that light that may be hitting the glass and reducing your contrast,making the image look soft and flat.

That's the best solution but it costs a bit.  One benefit to making your camera bigger and heavier with accessories is that you'll get a much more stable image when you handhold it.

T

#6 John1

John1
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

Thanks evrybody. Will try checking my exposure. But I have a problem with the audio, when I play the raw file on my system, I can hear d audio, but immediately I import it to premiere pro, there is no audio atall. No audio track, nothing.

#7 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

If you're in CS6, try importing the material through Media Browser, as opposed to just importing the .mts files.

Otherwise, try transcoding them to DNxHD or something like that; the transcoder may solve the issue.

P

#8 Will Barber

Will Barber
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

Also, if you bring in the video from the Source monitor, make sure you drag your footage to the timeline by grabbing the whole clip, because there's options under the  monitor to drag only audio or only video, that may be the problem. Will it play back in the source monitor with audio or is it missing there as well?

#9 John1

John1
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

Phil, been trying to that. Can't figure it out

#10 John1

John1
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

Will, it is entirely missing

#11 John1

John1
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

When I use premier pro cs4, I get audio, but when I use CS6, no audio at all

#12 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

Yes this is a known issue in CS6. I'm not sure what changed, but something did.

For now, let's try this - hope it doesn't get too techy.

Assuming you're using windows, go to http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ and download the first listed version under "32-bit downloads".

You may need to install the 7-zip tool to open the downloaded file. Open the file, and copy the file called ffmpeg.exe to a convenient place (such as your C drive). Also copy an MTS file from the GH2 there.

Hit start (or the windows button in the bottom left), run, and type "cmd". You should get a black window with white text.

Assuming you copied ffmpeg.exe and your MTS file (such as myfile.mts) to your C drive, in that window, type:

c:\ffmpeg -i c:\myfile.mts -c:v prores -c:a pcm_s16le c:\test.mov

This should give you a file (test.mov) which can be loaded into any recent version of Premiere. You will need to have Quicktime installed for Premiere to understand the file.

If this works, you can use the same process to convert all your files. They will get quite a lot bigger - we can discuss ways to minimise that problem, but if this works, let me know.

P

#13 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

Even for being over-exposed, it's not that bad:

Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 12.49.25 PM.png

I just grabbed a screen shot off of the youtube and spent 5 min in photoshop. Simple curs, and playing with highlight/midtone/shadow colors. Also a bit more saturation.

#14 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

What I wouldn't give to be able to shoot in Nigeria!

#15 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

Shooting in Senegal was one of the best experiences of my life.

#16 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

What I wouldn't give to be able to shoot in Nigeria!

Time and money?

#17 John1

John1
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

Ok, Phil, I will try that out and let you know. Andrian, meaning with colour correction, I can get to tweak my production error in post production, alright, thanks.... I think my learning curve grows significantly daily especially with a good site like this. Thanks guys. Phil.."What I wouldn't give to be able to shoot in Nigeria", I don't get that....

#18 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:16 AM

I don't get that....

I think they like all the light and the landscapes! :)

Freya

#19 John1

John1
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:21 AM

Adrian, my system is 64bit. Is it okay if i donwnload the 32bit, or i should go for the 64bit. Then which of the three files am i to download, "static", "shared" or "bit-dev"

#20 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:25 AM

Get static, which just means it includes everything wrapped up in one file and doesn't need external resources.

Get the 64 bit if you have a 64 bit CPU and a 64 bit operating system.

32 will work on either. Theoretically, the 64 will be faster on a 64 bit system, but probably not so you'd notice.

P

PS - Nigeria just looks like an interesting place, that's all!

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies