No replies to this topic

#1 Philip Kral

Philip Kral
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

I shot some 16mm film this last week and I used some 250D Vision3 color negative that someone else gave me and I have no idea how old it is. The interesting thing is, after I had put the film back into the canister in the dark, I realized when I turned on the light that I have flakes of emulsion on my hands. Quite a bit of it actually. I wasn't using the film for a major production or anything, but I'm still a bit interested/ worried how the film will come out now. Does anyone have any idea what caused this to happen? As I said, someone gave me some spare film they never used- what conditions could they have kept it in that causes the emulsion to flake off like that? Heat? Extreme cold? Age? 

There's a slim chance that perhaps my magazine is cutting into the film or that maybe there's built up emulsion somewhere there too, I'll take a look over the magazines again. Perhaps run some clear leader through it and see what happens. If anyone has any tips on how to clean or check the film path that may be I haven't tried yet I'm open ears. I already ran another reel of film through one of the mags afterwords and it came out clean. 

I've never seen that before, any ideas?

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Metropolis Post