#1 Eric Novakovich

Eric Novakovich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:33 AM

Have any of you ever had a gig where you were unable to see the location until the day of the shoot, had only a nominal idea of what the director wanted with regard to the look of the film, and were forced to choose sort of an "all-purpose lighting package" from Mole-Richardson? If so, which one would you choose to light the set below based on the following criteria:

1) Black & White

2) See sample shots below for look...

3) In the layout of the location/set pictured below, the living room, kitchen, dining room, and entry all need to be lit for long takes that dolly in and out of rooms. The exterior will also need to be lit only to the extent that lights can be seen coming in through the windows.

hustler-1.jpg killing.JPG set-layout.jpg

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:26 AM

What sort of lighting budget is available?

#3 Eric Novakovich

Eric Novakovich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

$2500 for 1 week of shooting.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

Hell that's not al too bad. It's really just a basic overhead light in the first one-- something like covered wagons or space lights, and a soft side source .

Since you're in a real location, and without knowing the height of the ceilings, I would go with some kino 4x4s to give me a top overall ambience-- if you can rig them off of the ceiling. If you can't then I'd get creative with a few 2K openface banging off of white card on the ceiling and flagged off of walls ect.For the soft I'd try to get an 8x8 in there of lite grid, maybe do a book light if they want it softer/wrappier

#2 is even easier since it's really just basically a bulb in a properly treated overhead hanging lamp bouncing off of the table.

For the outside, get your hands on some wall spreaders, and hang some lights just above frame-line to shoot out the windows.

Of course everyone will approach this differently. I may well be inclined to use practicals and a chinaball on a fish pole. hoovering over the camera-- hard to say without knowing what's happening.

(intensity of lights will depend upon camera you shoot on and what stop you'd like to maintain.)

it's certainly 100% doable with any reasonably equipped lighting package, which your budget should pretty well afford-- though you'll probably have to stick to household power as a genny would probably be out of budget.

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio