New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Germany

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Hi,

We are planning to use the Sony A7 as a third or fourth camera on a low budget multi camera project. Has anyone here any experiences concerning lens adapters adapting pl-mount-lenses to sony e-mount? Prices vary widely...

Quenox: http://www.enjoyyour...-NEX::6832.html

NoName: http://www.amazon.de...rds=Arri pl nex

MTF: http://www.bpm-media...OR::354829.html

Is there such a dramatic difference in quality? Which one would you recommend? When mounting primes, for example, the adapter should also offer the possibility of some kind of lens support.

Kind regards from Germany,
Marco

#2 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1605 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

Hi Marco,
there actually is a great deal of difference between adapters, especially if you're looking at cine applications, where you really need stability and accuracy. I'm not familiar with nex adapters (or cameras) but I've worked on plenty of others.

Cheap adapters use cheap materials that easily scratch or deform. They have sloppy tolerances so that sometimes a lens won't even fit, or the adapter is loose on the camera, or a lens can turn a bit in the mount throwing follow focus marks off. You can also get image shift if the lens moves a bit as you focus. The all important flange depth is often out of tolerance (sometimes drastically), so a lens might not reach infinity and the focus scale won't line up, or with a zoom the focus will drop out through the focal range. If the mount isn't centred properly a zoom will veer off to one side as you zoom.

I would say if the project is important get the best adapter you can afford. Sometimes a cheaper one will do the job, but it can be a gamble. I'd avoid the no-name or ebay stuff though.

I actually just worked on a customer's PL to m4/3 adapter made by Solid Camera, one of the top brands, and even that had some issues. I was able to shim it for perfect FFD and optically centre it for zoom tracking, and it's solid and well machined, with a very good support, but the PL locating pin isn't hardened and a few impacts had mushroomed this one slightly oversize, so that a PL lens would no longer fit properly.

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

CineLab

The Slider

Tai Audio