Aaron Martin @ OH
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Producer
  • Detroit

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

Hello -

My beloved Bolex RX-1 is having some motor issues, and so I am writing to ask for some advice in diagnosing the problem before (or if) I send it off for repair.

When shooting tests today I noticed that my camera sounded like it was struggling to move film through the gate, almost like it was jammed. I opened the camera and found that the film was not jammed, and there did not appear to be any damage to the film itself. I continued shooting and the problem persisted, and seemed to get worse as more film was wound onto the take-up reel. At the end of the reel the camera was really struggling and even stopping.

I ran the camera dry and it is definitely slowing (currently running around 33 seconds per wind at 24fps) but will run through an entire wind of the spring. The slowing seems to start when the spring is about 2/3 unwound, or when it has run about 10 feet of film. 

The camera obviously needs fixed, but before I send my camera off can anyone give me some advice on what should ask the tech to look at. The camera is due for a full CLA but I'm thinking the problem goes a little deeper than what that will solve. I thought maybe the spring has a flat spot on it, but that doesn't account for the motor completely stopping.

Thanks for your help. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have if it will help diagnose the problem.

Aaron

#2 Jean-Louis Seguin

Jean-Louis Seguin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

If the camera has not previously been tampered with, a proper CLA should restore the camera back to proper working condition.

Jean-Louis

#3 Robert Ditto

Robert Ditto
  • Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

Agreed.

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc