Young Pizzy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:52 AM

Hello guys
Pls what lens can I use to get a very good and colorful picture Using a 5D to shoot a Short-film? And I'm looking at projecting the final film on a big screen, zoom or prime? Why? And why not? Its a very low-no budget shoot
Thanks in advance

#2 Nicolas Courdouan

Nicolas Courdouan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:13 AM

Well, I am by no means a cinematographer, but I don't really see how the size of the screen should affect your choice of lens at all.

In a nutshell:

Prime lenses

- higher quality (sharper, crisper pictures)

- Wider aperture (which allows you to get less depth of field)

- more expensive

Zoom lenses

- More flexibility

- less expensive

Now of course, this also depends on the make and model of the lenses you are using, and a high-end zoom lens will get you a better picture than a low-end prime lens.

The questions you need to ask yourself are more about flexibility and DoF than about the size of the screen. Do you have access to a follow focus? A focus puller? How good is s/he? Are you shooting night scenes? day scenes? Interiors? Exteriors? Do you have access to lights? Will there be camera moves? Are you shooting handheld? On a tripod? Will the actors move around a lot?

The 5D is notorious for being a nightmare when it comes to focus. If you are shooting at wide apertures, you'd better make sure your actors hit their marks and that your focus puller is reliable, otherwise the focus will be all over the place. If you don't want to shoot wide open, then that's one less advantage in favour of prime lenses.

If you have the budget for it, you should go for one zoom lens that covers all the major focal lengths you plan to use (whatever they are), as well as two prime lenses.

An example of lens package would be a 24-70mm zoom lens, a 50mm prime lens and maybe an 85mm prime lens. However if you like wide angles and do not plan on using longer focal lengths, you could go with a 16-35mm zoom lens, a 20mm prime lens, and a 35mm prime lens. If you only like longer lenses, then go with a 70-200mm zoom lens, an 85mm prime and a 120mm prime lens.

It's all down to what you want to use depending on your tastes and how practical it would be for your short (confined spaces, etc.).

In the event that you can only afford one lens, go for a zoom lens. They are -usually- cheaper, and will afford more variety than if you shoot everything using the same focal length. Unless that serves the story!

Hope that helps

Edited by Nicolas Courdouan, 02 April 2014 - 05:15 AM.

#3 Young Pizzy

Young Pizzy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

Thank you Nicholas!
You've helped a lot, I ve in stock a canon 24-105mm F4 L series zoom and dats the only lens my budget can take!

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

I'm sure it'll be fine. The L series are generally fairly sharp.

P

#5 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

Thank you Nicholas!
You've helped a lot, I ve in stock a canon 24-105mm F4 L series zoom and dats the only lens my budget can take!

Mate if that's the only lens you have access to, then that's the lens you are shooting with! ;)

(Unless you are looking for a reason to do nothing!)

Canon generally make nice lenses. I'd be more worried about getting decent sound out of a DSLR!

But hey we can always worry about the problems. I think you should just concentrate on getting stuff done! :)

Freya

#6 Young Pizzy

Young Pizzy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

Thanks Phil and Freya.
I'll be recording sound with a Tascam Recording system seperately, so I'm assured a good sound, I'll sync it with the in-camera audio.

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Opal

FJS International, LLC