Photo

Question about SR3 Advanced Operating Noise - Empty vs. Loaded Mags (with Audio Clips!)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Karl Lee

Karl Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:42 AM

Hi everyone.

I've been tinkering with my new (well, new to me) SR3 Advanced, and I was curious if anyone might be able to comment on something I noticed while testing the mags.  Simply put, and contrary to what some might consider conventional wisdom, I'm noticing that the camera tends to run noisier with an empty mag attached compared to a mag that's loaded and threaded.  In my tests with the mag loaded, I used about 40' of scrap film on a plastic core and was also using a plastic core on the take-up side.

It sounds like most of the additional noise with an empty mag is being generated from the camera's black main drive gear (just behind the inching knob).  To help illustrate the differences I'm hearing, I've uploaded two audio clips - one of the camera running with an empty mag, and another of the camera running with a loaded and threaded mag.  In both recordings, the camera was running at 24 FPS with the lens port cap intact, and the audio recorder (my iPhone) was about 8 or 9 inches away from the operator side of the camera.  I performed the recordings in a completely silent room, so they may exaggerate the camera noise a little compared to working in an environment even with low ambient noise, but I thought this was the best way to capture the differences in sound.  Take a listen...

SR3 running with empty mag

SR3 running with loaded & threaded mag

In terms of low operating noise level, I think the camera sounds great with the loaded and threaded mag.  Still, I'm just curious about the differences in sound with the empty vs. loaded mag, and if this is actually a common, typical observation for the SR3.  It it a situation where the camera's main drive gear actually runs quieter with a load on the magazine's feed side vs. after a rollout?

Thanks!

#2 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:49 AM

Hopefully Adrian will chime in since he has owned an awesome SR3 package as long as I've known him.

#3 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:27 AM

OT, but it says something about Arri's engineering that it runs quieter loaded.

#4 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:33 AM

Common engineering practice and actually very old knowledge that mechanisms work more quietly under load. Think of an old mill with its wooden pegs and gears, it takes the resistance from the stones to keep everything in mesh. Without that you can have some of the gears doddering, a cogwheel is nothing else than an endless series of levers and gears are double levers. We can clearly hear that magazine gear run with play.

Edited by Simon Wyss, 13 April 2014 - 04:36 AM.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

When there is film in the mag it is going to absorb a lot of the noise that otherwise would be resonating inside of there a bit. I can't say I've ever really sat around listening to how loud the SR3 is when loaded/unloaded, but wouldn't surprise me that under load it's quieter.

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Technodolly

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC