Photo

Question about the Right and Wrong Way to Repaint an Arri Camera...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 David Fitch

David Fitch
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:36 AM

Hi everyone.

I've been looking into a few Arri SR3 packages, some of which include camera bodies and/or mags that have been professionally repainted by various camera houses.  However, after reading some accounts here and elsewhere about personal experiences with repainted cameras, I've become a little leery of repainted equipment and thought I'd see if anyone could share thoughts or information on the topic.

A friend of mine once had an SR3 magazine repainted by a reputable camera house in the US, only to find that the new coat of paint was quite delicate and started flaking off even under normal handling of the repainted mag.  Even the slightest nick, like an innocent, light scratch from a fingernail, would peel off a little flake of paint.  Needless to say, having mags with flaking paint isn't the best thing for film or to have in a changing tent.

That said, are there good, better, and best ways of repainting cameras and mags, and if so, which methods tend to be better than others?  The original SR3 camera and mag paint seems to be very durable (maybe even baked on), so I'm curious if this kind of delicate paint job is just to be expected when simply repainting over the original finish.  Also, is there any benefit to dealing with Arri directly, and do they offer services or repainting methods that aren't available elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for any information or advice!

#2 James Jeffrey Cotter

James Jeffrey Cotter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • United States

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:32 PM

I am just curious why the cosmetics is an issue unless you want to sell it? Of course reflections could be a problem, and sometimes it's a principal akin to wearing a white shirt, in that it makes you take on a more professional attitude. I know far afield but I just wondered?

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc