The Visual Effects Society (VES), the industry’s global professional honorary society, launched its new YouTube Channel, providing unique access to the world of visual effects and the artists who create them. The channel is designed to showcase outstanding examples of visual effects artistry and innovation from around the world, practical skills demonstrations, insights from leading practitioners and original content from VES signature events, workshops and forums.
The launch of the VES YouTube Channel was overseen by Rick Baumgartner, VES member and VFX Producer/Post Production Manager. VES will continually seek out and add select VES member and third-party videos that best represent the breadth and depth of the vibrant global visual effects community.
“The new VES YouTube Channel is an exciting portal for videos that inspire and educate, designed to increase the visibility of our outstanding VFX artists, their work, and to invite the ever-increasing international online audience to come and be amazed, fascinated and educated,” said Jeffrey A. Okun, VES Board Chair. “It is an important natural extension of our mission to advance the art of visual effects and form a global community.”
Some of the notable subjects on the VES YouTube Channel include:
- Alfonso Cuarón and the making of Gravity
- CGI Breakdowns including Game of Thrones, The Wolf of Wall Street and Iron Man 3
- VES Awards Show highlights featuring James Cameron, Robert Zemeckis and Steven Spielberg
- Panels and Q&As with visual effects practitioners and filmmakers, including The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, TED with Seth MacFarlane and Pacific Rim with John Knoll
- Pioneers of visual effects from the last 100 years from stop motion and matte painting to computer graphics
- ILMVFX “Behind the Magic Series” and video content from Weta Digital and Cinefex
- Visual effects in video games - featured channels include Ubisoft, Nvidia, Playstation
- Interviews with John Dykstra, Richard Edlund, Volker Engel, Rob Legato and many others
- Training, best practices and workshops, including Practical Lighting For CG Artists, Preparing For The Job Search, Virtual Production, Cinematography and Visual Effects