Photo

how can I get this clarity for my music videos (Attachment include)

color grading help canon hd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Todd Hopings

Todd Hopings
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • toledo ohio

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

I have a canon rebel t4i/650d and I use sony vegas for grading/editing. https://db.tt/SBJYPfVyScreenshot_2014-04-24-23-51-39-1.png

Edited by Todd Hopings, 24 April 2014 - 11:04 PM.

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:58 AM

Short of buying a more expensive camera, the lighting could be an area to look at.

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:16 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by clarity or what the problem is that you are having exactly. Lighting is a good place to start looking as Brian suggests.

The other thing you could try is magic lantern. There is a version of Magic Lantern for the 650D that allows you to record raw.

This will allow you to have more control in grading and improves the bit depth out of the camera too. It can also help with the amount of resolution that is resolved as not only does the Mpeg4 compression degrade the video a lot but canon also do all sorts of scaling and other things in the camera that reduces the resolution of the recordings. To such an extent in fact, that it's been said that even the newer Canon 5D Mark III is barely able to resolve 720p. Recording raw with magic lantern allows you to sidestep a lot of these problems although it doesn't reduce problems with moire etc from the line skipping that goes on.

It's a free download so it could be worth a try!

Heres a video from a guy called Dave about how to install it on the 650d:

https://www.youtube....6JHRay8f2Y#t=42

You will probably need to buy much faster memory cards and you will have to research that but it probably beats buying a new camera!

Freya

Edited by Freya Black, 25 April 2014 - 07:18 AM.

#4 Todd Hopings

Todd Hopings
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • toledo ohio

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by clarity or what the problem is that you are having exactly. Lighting is a good place to start looking as Brian suggests.

The other thing you could try is magic lantern. There is a version of Magic Lantern for the 650D that allows you to record raw.

This will allow you to have more control in grading and improves the bit depth out of the camera too. It can also help with the amount of resolution that is resolved as not only does the Mpeg4 compression degrade the video a lot but canon also do all sorts of scaling and other things in the camera that reduces the resolution of the recordings. To such an extent in fact, that it's been said that even the newer Canon 5D Mark III is barely able to resolve 720p. Recording raw with magic lantern allows you to sidestep a lot of these problems although it doesn't reduce problems with moire etc from the line skipping that goes on.

It's a free download so it could be worth a try!

I heard that magic lantern has dots that pop up over video after switchin them from raw do you know if they fixed that yet. I notice that the canon 7d give sharp images with great detail and makes the blacks look little glossy. I heard of magic lantern and hsve been checking there sight occasionally to see if they came out with a more stable build .

Heres a video from a guy called Dave about how to install it on the 650d:

https://www.youtube....6JHRay8f2Y#t=42

You will probably need to buy much faster memory cards and you will have to research that but it probably beats buying a new camera!

Freya

#5 Joosep Kask

Joosep Kask

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

The type of look that you want is achieved in grading, not in camera. That being said, this type of heavy grading needs a decent amount of color information, thus 650d's native 8bit h264 wont be enough. Ironically the effect you are going to want to use is called clarity. It's available in Photoshop RAW and Redcine X as slider but it can be achived manually in any color grading program.
As Freya said already, Magic Latern will help you out with your 650d because, it will give raw DNG files with more color information which you can easily grade in Photoshop RAW.

Edited by Joosep Kask, 09 May 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#6 Todd Hopings

Todd Hopings
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • toledo ohio

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

The type of look that you want is achieved in grading, not in camera. That being said, this type of heavy grading needs a decent amount of color information, thus 650d's native 8bit h264 wont be enough. Ironically the effect you are going to want to use is called clarity. It's available in Photoshop RAW and Redcine X as slider but it can be achived manually in any color grading program.
As Freya said already, Magic Latern will help you out with your 650d because, it will give raw DNG files with more color information which you can easily grade in Photoshop RAW.

I appreciate your response and I have been thinking about using magic lantern but. The developers having made a stable build yet. Igave it a try but my card on let me get 5secs of footage before stopping . I heard that you will need a fast card in order to use it with out it stopping automatically I have a 16gb 45mb/s extreme class 10 sdhc card but that only lets me get 5secs before stopping do u kno which card I should get?

#7 Joosep Kask

Joosep Kask

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:43 AM

No, I don't have experience with 650d myself.
Go browse http://www.magiclantern.fm forums - you'll find a answer from there.

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets