Photo

Any Reasons to Not Use 2-perf Film for S16 mag Loading Practice & Cam Testing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Karl Lee

Karl Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

I have a 400' roll of 1-perf 16mm which I've been using for mag loading practice and testing of my SR3, but after runing the entire 400' through the camera, I end up having to re-spool the film on another core to get the winding correct before I can use it again.

If I used 2-perf film for testing, I'd eliminate the hassle of having to wind the film back onto a core before running it through a mag and the camera again. Since the SR3 camera and mags are designed for S16 and 1-perf film, I'm guessing that mechanically, running some 2-perf film through the mags and camera wouldn't be an issue. However, on account of the extra row of perfs that would be running through the film path and aperture plate, would I risk somehow scratching or damaging something by having the extra row of perfs running against surfaces that were designed to be in contact with the smooth, unperforated edge of 1-perf film? Also, I could see the extra row of perfs running through the S16 gate as providing that many more cut surfaces that could contribute to excess film dust and particles, although I suppose if the camera is cleaned regularly that may not be too big of an issue.

So, am I over-thinking this and worrying about nothing, or do I have some legitimate concerns?

#2 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

I don't think the line of perfs on the left will hurt the camera,  but if you are doing a scratch test it confuses that a little.  Double perf makes it easier to check the basic functions of mags,  the loops.

#3 Karl Lee

Karl Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:24 AM

My primary goal with the test film isn't so much to perform a scratch test, but more for testing the mechanics of the film movement in the mags and the camera, and for magazine loading practice.  Since my test film has been handled quite a bit and has passed through cameras and mags many times, I'd prefer doing a scratch test using new film fresh out of the can. 

#4 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:02 PM

There's no problem using double perf film for movement testing/loading practice, I used to use it all the time when servicing or checking out rental cameras. Saved a lot of time not having to rewind, as you've worked out. Film shrinks and gets more brittle over time so after a while of using the same film a camera can sound noisier than it really is, though. 

Opal

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc