INTERSTELLAR trailer

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 589 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Work is based in Los Angeles but I live elsewhere.

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

Enjoy... I sure did...

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=zSWdZVtXT7E

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'm never quite sure how people manage to combine handheld camerawork with making it look that polished.

I can't do that.

P

#3 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

The beauty of film...

#4 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:18 AM

Great idea, we completely *bleeped* up our own planet, now we need to find someone else's to *bleep* up.  :blink:

R,

#5 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

Great idea, we completely *bleeped* up our own planet, now we need to find someone else's to *bleep* up.  :blink:

R,

But do you want to see cute little Mackenzie Foy die, you heartless wretch? lol :D j/k

#6 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 589 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

I'm never quite sure how people manage to combine handheld camerawork with making it look that polished.

I can't do that.

P

I'm going to take that as a compliment! Thanks Phil. Consider it was hand held with a 78 pound IMAX camera as well!

G

#7 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

I can't do that.

P

I think we've just become so used to deliberate shaky-cam that it's easy to forget what Handheld can look like with a great operator and a director who isn't all style and no substance.

#8 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

I know Nolan is a big Kubrick fan and the space sequences look like they are born out of that influence.

#9 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

looking forward to this one...

#10 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:24 AM

I'm going to take that as a compliment! Thanks Phil. Consider it was hand held with a 78 pound IMAX camera as well!
G

Great work, but BEST HANDHELD WORK EVER, Bill Butler, Jaws, 1975!

#11 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:03 AM

R,

And based on truth, the western Antarctic shelve is irreversably collapsing as we speak, creating a rise in sea levels of over 4 feet in the next century and 10 feet when all is said and done. The series Years of Living Dangerously has shown what scientists and climatologists have proven about climate change, global warming and the predicted effect of that on food production and in the immedate future, higher temperatures especially in the deserts where I happen to live at the moment, is already creating problems. STILL very little in the way of repairing the damage we wrout although wind energy is up over400% and solar panels are becoming far more common but it's still just a drop in the bucket. Dirty coal, dirty oil, dirty money driving dirty agandas run the whole show. Nolan found the rught issue ti expiore for our times and I hope the right people get his point and take it to the next level. I can actually see films like this, themes of an environmental apocalyptic future becoming very popular in the next few years.

#12 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:29 AM

Consider it was hand held with a 78 pound IMAX camera as well!

Well, I've never operated a camera that big, nor do I expect that I ever will, but I suspect there's probably a few ways that's actually quite helpful when working handheld.

And a few ways it isn't, too!

P

#13 Kevin Grossett

Kevin Grossett

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

Greg, how did Hoyte operate the IMAX camera handheld? 

I heard that Nolan dared Wally Pfister to shoot one quick shot of The Dark Knight holding an IMAX camera, just so he could say that he did it.

#14 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 589 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

Greg, how did Hoyte operate the IMAX camera handheld? 

I heard that Nolan dared Wally Pfister to shoot one quick shot of The Dark Knight holding an IMAX camera, just so he could say that he did it.

We made an entirely new viewing system for the IMAX MSM camera to make the eyepiece position much more friendly for hand held. It was also much brighter and sharper than the original. We then machined a "Panavised" mount on the bottom of the camera body to accept Panavision style handles that allowed the camera to be balanced on Hoyte's shoulder. Finally, I had made extra long cables that allowed all power and Preston requirements to be led aft to a specially built backpack that our dolly grip wore while guiding Hoyte during a shot. All in all, it worked brilliantly.

G

#15 Kevin Grossett

Kevin Grossett

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

We made an entirely new viewing system for the IMAX MSM camera to make the eyepiece position much more friendly for hand held. It was also much brighter and sharper than the original. We then machined a "Panavised" mount on the bottom of the camera body to accept Panavision style handles that allowed the camera to be balanced on Hoyte's shoulder. Finally, I had made extra long cables that allowed all power and Preston requirements to be led aft to a specially built backpack that our dolly grip wore while guiding Hoyte during a shot. All in all, it worked brilliantly.

G

Amazing! Thanks for the information. I know how "under wraps" Chris Nolan's films are in general, so it's most appreciated. 

I heard you guys even put an IMAX camera in the nose of a Learjet?... :) Can't wait for the ASC article about this film.

#16 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

I saw a photo of Chris Nolan standing next to the imax camera. it looks to be about the same size as a Sony F 65.

#17 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

I saw a photo of Chris Nolan standing next to the imax camera. it looks to be about the same size as a Sony F 65.

#18 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 589 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:31 AM

In reality, ithe IMAX camera is bigger, heavier and denser.

#19 KH Martin

KH Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Other
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

Wasn't there some elaborate rig that let Kubrick do the handheld 65mm work in 2001? I remember that there is a rather steep platform leading down into the excavation where the monolith is found on the moon, and that Kubrick himself shot that, but don't recall ever seeing any b-t-s showing exactly how he manhandled that sucker.

#20 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2250 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:27 AM

Panavision had a 65mm handheld camera ,no elaborate rig just sat on your shoulder !

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Visual Products

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC